CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Need an artist...Am Paying

The costume I designed for my character is no more.....Recently I fell in love with this new costume I saw on FB.....I am making some changes however to avoid any legal entanglements This is the before

3449077897?profile=original

This is the after:

3449078118?profile=original

This is the after

I can be reached anytime....My email is craigslofton@hotmail.com off of CCAS

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have a publishing house I'm looking at for future publication.  I have a friend who is a published author and she said when I felt like it was time to share my work she could help me navigate the publishing world.  (I should have said that earlier)

Craig said:

You should write and ask GOD to put the right people in front of you to get published if that is your wish!

Velynda Wilson said:

I realize other people read the threads posted so I wanted to make sure I was clear about my position.  I think women can be strong, be warriors in the faith, without dressing immodesty.   I hope you didn't think I was giving you a Bible lesson.  That wasn't my intention.  I'm sure you are well aware of what kind of women are in the Bible or you would not be creating a female character for a Christian Comic.  I'm am a writer also so I can't help with the art part of your vision.  No doubt many of the people here at CCAS have jobs or are in University at the same time as being artists.  I've found I cannot make my living strictly as a writer, so I write mostly for my own enjoyment and the edification of others while I have my own business.  

The costume I designed for my character is no more.....Recently I fell in love with this new costume I saw on FB.....I am making some changes however…
  • Yes you are right Craig.  I write mostly poetry which has, can be illustrated.  Right now I am biding my time waiting on God to show me where he is working so I can join him there.  

• You should write and ask GOD to put the right people in front of you to get published if that is your wish!

Velynda Wilson said:

I realize other people read the threads posted so I wanted to make sure I was clear about my position.  I think women can be strong, be warriors in the faith, without dressing immodesty.   I hope you didn't think I was giving you a Bible lesson.  That wasn't my intention.  I'm sure you are well aware of what kind of women are in the Bible or you would not be creating a female character for a Christian Comic.  I'm am a writer also so I can't help with the art part of your vision.  No doubt many of the people here at CCAS have jobs or are in University at the same time as being artists.  I've found I cannot make my living strictly as a writer, so I write mostly for my own enjoyment and the edification of others while I have my own business.  

The costume I designed for my character is no more.....Recently I fell in love with this new costume I saw on FB.....I am making some changes however…
  • Hi I am gonna try and produce a finished comic with some ideas that I have but I am completely new to this and need help.  I am a painter really but want to refine the work to a different audience…can anyone help..thanks

Page_1.jpg

• I realize other people read the threads posted so I wanted to make sure I was clear about my position.  I think women can be strong, be warriors in the faith, without dressing immodesty.   I hope you didn't think I was giving you a Bible lesson.  That wasn't my intention.  I'm sure you are well aware of what kind of women are in the Bible or you would not be creating a female character for a Christian Comic.  I'm am a writer also so I can't help with the art part of your vision.  No doubt many of the people here at CCAS have jobs or are in University at the same time as being artists.  I've found I cannot make my living strictly as a writer, so I write mostly for my own enjoyment and the edification of others while I have my own business.  

• Thanks you have answered a question I had in the back of my head. The costume will be purple. Thanks for the history lessons too through the particular women in the BIBLE. Now I am still left with needing an artist I have one person who said after his studies, he would take a stab....Are you interested?

Velynda Wilson said:

As a mother of 2 kids, I like the idea of a much more modest costume.  I took a look at the Magdalena character more carefully in all her incarnations and I must say that I would not have allowed my kids to have those comics in the house!  If you look at the black and white sketch above, the tunic covers the character in a modest way.  Some of the drawings of Magdalena show far, far too much of her body to be appealing to a Christ following woman.  I prefer something that gives a woman covering but also conveys that she walks in the power of Jesus Christ.  Deborah the Judge found in the Old Testament has always conveyed the power of God and someone who could speak truth to power when necessary.  Might I also suggest that perhaps something closer to purple in the costume?   I believe that the New Testament woman Lydia is also a woman of deep personal faith, a leader in her own right, and a Christ follower who sold "purple".  A mom trying to teach her daughter the keys of modesty, honesty, power through Christ, and that she as a woman has a duty to protect her family, and the name of a Holy God might more identify with the character if she had that purple-ish color.   It is a royal color and a color often spoken of in Scripture.  I understand the red shows the blood of Christ covering our sins and I completely understand why an artist would prefer the color red.  I believe the Rabbinical garments were a purple blue in color which is the garment that Christ wore as a rabbi.   When writing about character color, texture, light, and context all speak volumes about a writer.  The only children of Christ are those who accept him by faith...  

• As a mother of 2 kids, I like the idea of a much more modest costume.  I took a look at the Magdalena character more carefully in all her incarnations and I must say that I would not have allowed my kids to have those comics in the house!  If you look at the black and white sketch above, the tunic covers the character in a modest way.  Some of the drawings of Magdalena show far, far too much of her body to be appealing to a Christ following woman.  I prefer something that gives a woman covering but also conveys that she walks in the power of Jesus Christ.  Deborah the Judge found in the Old Testament has always conveyed the power of God and someone who could speak truth to power when necessary.  Might I also suggest that perhaps something closer to purple in the costume?   I believe that the New Testament woman Lydia is also a woman of deep personal faith, a leader in her own right, and a Christ follower who sold "purple".  A mom trying to teach her daughter the keys of modesty, honesty, power through Christ, and that she as a woman has a duty to protect her family, and the name of a Holy God might more identify with the character if she had that purple-ish color.   It is a royal color and a color often spoken of in Scripture.  I understand the red shows the blood of Christ covering our sins and I completely understand why an artist would prefer the color red.  I believe the Rabbinical garments were a purple blue in color which is the garment that Christ wore as a rabbi.   When writing about character color, texture, light, and context all speak volumes about a writer.  The only children of Christ are those who accept him by faith...  

• Your right the crosses on the hood and arm bands have to go and I do want to keep the dove symbol. Two questions. SHould I keep the purple color from the original and are you an artist and want to take a stab at this or are you going to suggest artists that are your friends?

Arnaldo Reyes said:

this does look better but i'll be careful with the design. When suggesting an artist to make a design based on something you like, the best thing is to make enough differences to make it stand out on its own. I would have kept the same symbol (dove) from the original concept when adding the armor and hood. Personally, i'd get rid of the "cross" symbols on the arm shields and on the buttons holding the hooded robe. As a person who knows the character (and a fan of the character), I still see the similarities. Where some may not know who she is, you'll still come across a few that will see it and say it's a knockoff of the Magdalena character. Definitely have an artist do several character concepts incorporating the dove more and play with the color scheme more. It's just my opinion

Craig said:

Ok just read a little about Magdalena om Wikipedia and her origins. The costume is somewhat different from what the 1st draft shows. And on a personal level, her origins are a direct descendant of Jesus Christ. Going on the myth he conceived a child with Mary Magdalene. My character is total opposite here is the rough sketch

3884472057?profile=original3449078511?profile=originalPlease write me back Arnaldo

Arnaldo Reyes said:

I'm confused here Craig, are you trying to make a character like Magdalena or are you claiming the "after photo" to be your new rendering of your character? That second photo is a Top Cow Comics character with that specific drawing being that of Stjepan Sejic (one of their artists).

• this does look better but i'll be careful with the design. When suggesting an artist to make a design based on something you like, the best thing is to make enough differences to make it stand out on its own. I would have kept the same symbol (dove) from the original concept when adding the armor and hood. Personally, i'd get rid of the "cross" symbols on the arm shields and on the buttons holding the hooded robe. As a person who knows the character (and a fan of the character), I still see the similarities. Where some may not know who she is, you'll still come across a few that will see it and say it's a knockoff of the Magdalena character. Definitely have an artist do several character concepts incorporating the dove more and play with the color scheme more. It's just my opinion

Craig said:

Ok just read a little about Magdalena om Wikipedia and her origins. The costume is somewhat different from what the 1st draft shows. And on a personal level, her origins are a direct descendant of Jesus Christ. Going on the myth he conceived a child with Mary Magdalene. My character is total opposite here is the rough sketch

3884472057?profile=original3449078511?profile=originalPlease write me back Arnaldo

Arnaldo Reyes said:

I'm confused here Craig, are you trying to make a character like Magdalena or are you claiming the "after photo" to be your new rendering of your character? That second photo is a Top Cow Comics character with that specific drawing being that of Stjepan Sejic (one of their artists).

• Ok just read a little about Magdalena om Wikipedia and her origins. The costume is somewhat different from what the 1st draft shows. And on a personal level, her origins are a direct descendant of Jesus Christ. Going on the myth he conceived a child with Mary Magdalene. My character is total opposite here is the rough sketch

Arnaldo Reyes said:

This reply was deleted.