CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Replies

• I found a good blog post by a secular webcomic artist that's really good!

http://www.remindblog.com/2010/10/07/how-to-make-money-webcomic/

• Martin Murtonen said:
    I was in South Africa once. To say the least their comic output was minimal at best. And the most popular comic was done by people who had moved there from England. And that was a newspaper strip.

So, when I discovered this I looked around the rest of the world and discovered something: Outside of Europe, North America and Japan - the "Indigenous Comic Book" is minimal at best. (This is not to say that they don't exist) Either due to a) No one knows they exist b) No one cares c) No one can afford them because their too busy trying to buy bread d) The product produced in those countries is so badly done no one wants it anyway.

So what did I learn from this:
    1) If you produce a well done product in targeted market (i.e. your country) it could potentially sell very very well.

2) Make sure the product is better than what's already in that market (usually, this is not difficult to do).

3) If your country doesn't have a "signature character" create one for your country and boom! (Needs to be obvious. i.e. If your national animal is a Lion or if in folklore it's some sort of weird creature i.e. Moomin in Finland).

4) Be willing to be in it for the long haul.

My thinking is smaller countries it could potentially be easier to stand out and create a market for yourself. It will take a lot of work though. And pray about it. If the Father is in it, you He'll make it happen with your help.

okay...i get you...thanks...ours is an eagle...will work on that! cool!!!
  • I was in South Africa once. To say the least their comic output was minimal at best. And the most popular comic was done by people who had moved there from England. And that was a newspaper strip.

So, when I discovered this I looked around the rest of the world and discovered something: Outside of Europe, North America and Japan - the "Indigenous Comic Book" is minimal at best. (This is not to say that they don't exist) Either due to a) No one knows they exist b) No one cares c) No one can afford them because their too busy trying to buy bread d) The product produced in those countries is so badly done no one wants it anyway.

So what did I learn from this:
    1) If you produce a well done product in targeted market (i.e. your country) it could potentially sell very very well.

2) Make sure the product is better than what's already in that market (usually, this is not difficult to do).

3) If your country doesn't have a "signature character" create one for your country and boom! (Needs to be obvious. i.e. If your national animal is a Lion or if in folklore it's some sort of weird creature i.e. Moomin in Finland).

4) Be willing to be in it for the long haul.

My thinking is smaller countries it could potentially be easier to stand out and create a market for yourself. It will take a lot of work though. And pray about it. If the Father is in it, you He'll make it happen with your help.
  • I was in Nigeria (Lagos, Jos, and Abuja) eight years ago, and encountered some of the International Bible Society comics (Heroes of the Faith) while I was there, doing missions work.

Yes, do pray, brother, and see how God directs you. Nate Butler's suggestion sounds like an exciting opportunity.

Kind regards in Christ Jesus,

Alec
  • okay guys...i'm so sorry i haven't written a thing in this side of the world...have been extremely busy because i'm in a band and it's very difficult to balance drawing comics and playing the guitar...ha...how do i do that?
    and i seriously want to start drawing again...how do i do that? is it too late for me?

what is your position on characters with powers in christian comics?

who has joe kubert's how to draw comics?
  • I agree with what Bob has said about webcomics - it's the quickest and easiest way to get "out there" since you don't have to worry about the time or even the cash required to print.

Webcomics usually accrue most of their money through advertising. If you are able to draw a crowd to check back day after day people notice and are willing to pay to put banner ads on your site. There are other ways of making money through webcomics, but this is a most basic and primary function.

Of course, it's still a challenge even if it is quicker and easier compared to print. As Ralph noted, consistency is key. You have to update as often and as consistency as possible - with the latter being particularly challenging amid the day-to-day hustle.

The best advice I can give - as a webcomiker - is to do your homework. Pay strict attention to effective web design, efficient marketing and all other aspects in both creativity and business.

Above all else, join the webomic community. You have to be patient. We were not, and our webcomic floundered in part because we expected to reap rewards too much too soon. At the very least, by taking an active role in the webcomic community, you can seek to enrich the lives of others by spreading the Good News of the Gospels.

Bob Luedke said:
    That's not an easy question...especially in parts of the world where there is even less readership then here in the U.S.

I've found most of the brothers and sisters I've met creating works in the comic or graphic novel format, are not doing so mainly to "make money", rather most are driven to use the format to share the gospel.

Now that being said, to better accomplish that mission being able to sell enough to fund further printing and/or production is always desireable and many of us are driven to try to achieve both goals, to better reach (or continue to reach) as many as possible.

But like you've heard here...for the least amount of overhead and the ability to reach the largest audience a webcomic is the way to go.
  • That's not an easy question...especially in parts of the world where there is even less readership then here in the U.S.

I've found most of the brothers and sisters I've met creating works in the comic or graphic novel format, are not doing so mainly to "make money", rather most are driven to use the format to share the gospel.

Now that being said, to better accomplish that mission being able to sell enough to fund further printing and/or production is always desireable and many of us are driven to try to achieve both goals, to better reach (or continue to reach) as many as possible.

But like you've heard here...for the least amount of overhead and the ability to reach the largest audience a webcomic is the way to go.
  • okay...i plan to create a master mind group to start comics...pls pray that the right people who share this vision will come and start. is this a solid move? i like your comments. thinking of joining the pan african comix35
  • Brother Umar Jawfu-

Greetings in His Most Holy Name!

I think you will be interested to know about the pan-African Christian Comics Project of our ministry COMIX35:

http://www.comix35.org/africa_project.html

Part of the purpose of this project is to provide Christian comics creators in Africa with some income from their comics efforts. Three brothers from Nigeria participated in the first issue, as well as brothers from Kenya, South Africa, and Cameroon, plus a sister from Zimbabwe. A few of them are part of this CCAS online group.

Also COMIX35 has proposed a gathering of African Christian cartoonists and comic book producers at the LittWorld2009 World Conference of Christian Publishing in Nairobi, Kenya, November 1-6, 2009:

http://www.comix35.org/nairobi2009.html

I know that travel is expensive in Africa, but perhaps you will want to pray about attending that meeting.

In Christ,

Nate Butler
    COMIX35 / ROX35 Media, Inc.
  • Antoher excellent suggestion by Chris. If you should decide to approach an organization, find out their mission. Is it evangelistic or ministering to the sick or poor? You want to approach them with a project that fits their vision, then they may be more likely to fund it.
This reply was deleted.