CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Replies

• Perhaps you could also see whether it would be possible to partner with a church organization, or even a denominational or missions headquarters. While it seems unlikely that you would find somebody who would carry the cost of creating a comic (you could be surprised), maybe you could pitch doing comics in conjunction with a Sunday School or a Vacation Bible School curriculum.

Just a thought.
  • Matthew makes a great point in suggesting to start your book online. The key to the success of online comics is consistent updates on your stories. You want to develop weekly traffic to your comic book site and start building a fan base. Once you stop updating, people stop going to your site. I would also suggest getting input from writers and artists. Solid and constructive criticism can be very helpful.
  • In Nigeria, you may have more success going the online route. Many artists have blogs that they regularly update with new strips and comics---this builds readership and shows what you can do to publishers across the globe.

Awareness is something you have to do with promotion to your prospective audience. Making a living in the independent publishing market is very difficult---get your work out there, get it visible to publishers as well as fans and readers, and if it's marketable, you might get a shot at making some money.
  • That is the same problem we face in America. To my knowledge, there is no one that is able to quit their full time job and produce Christian comics for a living. You do it to share the gospel and for the love of the medium, with very little financial gain involved. There may be a few, but compared to those who not, the numbers are very small. I don't want to negate the possibility or dismiss a mighty move of the Lord in this field, but in the 20 years I've been following the Christian comics movement, it has yet to happen.
This reply was deleted.