CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

I was recently typing out a letter explaining my comic-creating passion to a Christian relative (who expressed more than passing interest in my work and now may be regretting), and thought anew of the exciting potential of this CCAS site in 2014.  Discussion time; what do you folks think?

“Is CCAS online in a unique ministry position?” is a sufficiently pretentious title to stimulate some commentary. There are so many online sites involved in Christian ministry that it certainly appears to be grandiose for me to believe that CCAS is in a special ministry position.  So here is the defense I offered in my letter:

“Publishing houses and established media outlets used to be the only ones with the resources to reach a large number of people, and so acted as a sort of quality filter.  However year by year, more viewers of all ages access the internet, and both amateur and professional creators are offering an enormous amount of free material and samples in an effort to find and follow the comic market.   One consequence of the current flood of unfiltered offerings on the internet is that a wide range of viewers can expect to find some site on the net that will inform and entertain them.    A site that offers a wider variety of styles and stories to correctly express the gospel can be as relevant as a site with a smaller number of handpicked offerings. Meeting the emerging need for wide variety is what makes the CCAS site relevant for me.”

But I’m curious as to what makes this site exciting and relevant (or doesn’t) for you?    Sound off, folks.

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• As a fan/very infrequent artist I just like being able to come here to see everyone's work, talk about stuff and maybe post a picture every-once-in-a-while. (I'm also super-excited about the con news.)

I think finding a way to get more fans/consumers on here would help the site a lot. The forums would be more active and you guys would get more exposure. All-in-all, I think it would just make things livelier.

• When I found CASS I was excited to find a forum of people with the same passion for Christ and Art that I have. Even though this site has been around for a long time I think it is still in its infancy for ministry. In its current format I would say it is just a forum for Christian artist to share their art and encourage each other, But it is also a safe place, once I found this site I stopped using Deviantart.

I do feel we as group have a lot of room to grow, and we do need a bit of a direction to go if we want to have a broader effect in a world that is lost and needs Jesus.

anyway, hope that makes sense. I have the flu so I'm out.

• For me, it's far more than just "talking about comics"; it's the mentoring, peer review, the ability to bounce ideas and concepts off of others off the top of my head. We can discuss all types of issues here, compare notes, and encourage one another as we seek to use our artistic skills both for the Lord's glory as well as to bring His good news to a lost and dying world. That makes it very relevant for me, and I think a lot of other members here would feel the same way, or feel along similar lines.

• In retrospect, aside from offering a venue for Christian artists to talk about comics and post comics, I have literally no idea what the CCAS does.

This reply was deleted.