CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

How to make this site more active?

Hey Guys,

I have to be honest, I haven't been on here in a long time, and now that I am checking it out again, it appears to be a ghost town.

"Recent comments" on posts are often from many years ago.

I don';t think it needs to be this way. We are a very distinct community, and i am sure we would all enjoy fellow-shipping more.

How can we make this site more active, more attractive, and more user-friendly?

• Limit discussion categories?
  • Bigger Photos?
  • Perhaps send more instant notifications?
  • Maybe have an online store to showcase/sell the best comics on this site?
  • Or a project-based search function?
  • Remove/archive some of the old material on here (pruning is good!). Seriously, remove some of the inactive clutter. Cut off the dead weight and bring this thing back to life.
  • People who run conventions & zines and podcasts, how come you aren't keeping the info updated on here anymore?

OR is there just some other site you have all migrated to?

If so, please clue the rest of us in.

Thanks & God bless!

Tom

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks Kerry! I look forward to interacting!

Tom

Kerry Tarpley said:

I would agree.

I haven't been here in a few years, with that said I will try to post more and stay active to help keep site alive.

Hey Guys, I have to be honest, I haven't been on here in a long time, and now that I am checking it out again, it appears to be a ghost town. Rece…
  • Thank you, Ralph! That's great! I look forward to chatting soon. I will send you an email!

Ralph Ellis Miley said:

You are right about our activity energy.  I am involved with the organization of the CCAS presence at Comic Con International: San Diego (21 years) and Wonder Con (9 years) in Anaheim, CA. I would love to discuss some of the ideas you have.  I can put you in contact with the administrators of this site. We are were just discussing this at Comic Con this past weekend.  You can email at ralphellismiley0@gmail.com.  Looking forward to hearing from you.

Hey Guys, I have to be honest, I haven't been on here in a long time, and now that I am checking it out again, it appears to be a ghost town. Rece…

• Kevin D. Lintz said:

Some suggestions I hope are easy to implement:

- Put the "Follow" button at the top of the thread. It is much more visible there.

- When you click an image, it doesn't zoom it. Instead it scrolls to the next image. That is not intuitive.

- Other website I am on have a weekly or daily "Here's the latest activity" email or alert. Our alert could have sections for new art, new threads, new news, etc.

- I agree that the whole code needs to be updated. There are plenty of free tools that will provide the things we are looking for.

• I would agree.

I haven't been here in a few years, with that said I will try to post more and stay active to help keep site alive.

• You are right about our activity energy.  I am involved with the organization of the CCAS presence at Comic Con International: San Diego (21 years) and Wonder Con (9 years) in Anaheim, CA. I would love to discuss some of the ideas you have.  I can put you in contact with the administrators of this site. We are were just discussing this at Comic Con this past weekend.  You can email at ralphellismiley0@gmail.com.  Looking forward to hearing from you.

• Agreed, Dan! I am trying to be that active member.

Dan Lee said:

I really don't know what to say other than be the active member you wish others to be. I do see a lot of amateurs, myself included, who aren't fully focused. I let the daily things and my own perfectionism get in the way of things. It's probably why I've been working on the same things since I was a preteen. Lol.
  • Thanks Kevin!

All of these are excellent suggestions.

It is really hard to find all of your latest activity on here. I get emails, and if you click the link it takes you directly to the comment; but if I just log in, there are no alerts on my main page of where to click for most recent comments (whether that be on photos or discussion forums).

Admins, are you reading?

Kevin D. Lintz said:

Some suggestions I hope are easy to implement:

- Put the "Follow" button at the top of the thread. It is much more visible there.

- When you click an image, it doesn't zoom it. Instead it scrolls to the next image. That is not intuitive.

- Other website I am on have a weekly or daily "Here's the latest activity" email or alert. Our alert could have sections for new art, new threads, new news, etc.

- I agree that the whole code needs to be updated. There are plenty of free tools that will provide the things we are looking for.

• Some suggestions I hope are easy to implement:

• I really don't know what to say other than be the active member you wish others to be. I do see a lot of amateurs, myself included, who aren't fully focused. I let the daily things and my own perfectionism get in the way of things. It's probably why I've been working on the same things since I was a preteen. Lol.
  • I just realized that the "main page" re-orders the forums according to those with most recent comments.

That's exactly what I was looking for!

However, I (and I think most other people) look for discussions under "forums," where very old topics are posted at the top.

I hope that admins don't take my critique of the website personally in any way. I like this site; I just want to see it retain more active members. I hope that they can see I am trying to provide constructive criticism. (So far, no response from either of the admins that i messaged).

If you are listening, ii think it might be helpful to get a professional web designer to look at the site and provide recommendations on how it could be improved.

Christians can be passionate people.

Artists can be passionate people too.

We have a bunch of Christian artists here. How can we galvanize that energy and facilitate more consistent engagement?

Thanks again for listening.

Sorry if I sound like a pest.

This reply was deleted.