CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

How do you deal with Fear?

I think one of my biggest problems is my worry/fear. Right now I have so many things that could devastate my life and the lives of others in my head and its so easy for me to go "oh what am I going to do if this happens? or That?" I guess because I know that I only have me to fall back on. No family, or friends that I can call on if something drastic happens to me. I know that I just have to keep telling myself that nothing happens to me that is not in the Will of God. God has control of my life. I have to have faith and trust that God will take care of me and His children...no matter what happens in this wicked world. Some possible events are just so scary. But God's Will be done. Whatever it may be.

A lot of people I know suffer from severe depression, and while I've suffered from it sometimes, I am honestly a sufferer of severe fear. And to be perfectly truthful, I am really tired of the feeling. It gets so bad sometimes that I'll wake up in fear...for no reason. Nothing to be afraid of. I have to get up and move forward regardless. I can't keep letting my fear of things that may happen but haven't keep crippling me.

No matter how hard I try I can't seem to shake it. Any scriptures, advice...anything is appreciated. Even encouragement. I'm at the point in my life I'm sick and tired of living in Fear.

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• To add to what's been said I'd also suggest adjusting your diet. Malnutrition can play a huge factor in a healthy mind and how your body handles stresses, and what's the least that could happen, you get healthy? A lot of times people are praying for God to come and heal them, and He's like what'em I gonna do you keep filling your body w/ overdoses of sugar, or carbs and calories, instead of vitamins and minerals the body needs. Or it's the opposite and we're starving ourselves of all these things including vitamins & minerals. And don't rule out those deficiencies as the cause for chemical imbalances resulting in mental strife. Add this to a workout routine and you're on the fast track to a more stress-free life.

• Bunni, one thing I fear on the back burner sometimes is not knowing what will happen between point A and point B.

We're believing God to open a door for us to relocate out of Massachusetts, though it can be easy to take eyes off of Him and fear when things don't move as quickly as we'd like. My wife is at the breaking point as her handicapped condition keeps her from coming upstairs to bed at night. Most nights she goes to bed in pain as she must sleep on an uncomfy sleep sofa.... 

She's been applying for federal jobs in Phoenix and Tucson, got rejected for a few positions and is waiting with anxiety on 2 others where, as weeks pass by, no decision has yet been made. One good point is that she was first rejected for one of those, but got back into the running when the one selected suddenly bowed out.... we have faith, yet easy for fear and anxiety to creep in where the answer hasn't come as quickly as my wife would like.

I can understand about jobs.... I work at a hospital that has had three rounds of layoffs in 2 years. Half of the janitorial department I work in was laid off.... good people got let go who shouldn't have.

By God's grace we hang on, even when we don't always see the big picture of His plan. Since we know thanks to Him how the story ends, we can take hope from that and know that he's promised all of us a hopeful future (Jer. 29:11)

Jeremiah 29:11
    New International Version (NIV)
    11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Thank God for His plans and promises :)

• At least yours are things in your control... I was reading a devotion and it said that most people fear things that are outside of their control. That is so me. The main things I fear are losing my job, travel (as i have NO sense of direction) and weather (tornado season almost paralyzes me, especially since i'm on the top floor of my apartment complex). I know, it seems silly but we are all different.

And I can ALWAYS use more friends!!! (I have no friends where I live...lots of acquaintances though) *hugs*

Depression was a lot easier for me to deal with than fear... I cry for a night and i'm good. Depression came from loneliness, and it would get to me at times and then i'd push it back into the back of my mind.

The good thing about all of this is I do feel that God is working on these areas in me... He put me in a program where i have to travel to a conference once a year (fear), He moved me to the edge of "tornado alley" (fear), and the job I'm at seems to always be having layoffs (fear). Either I'm going to learn to trust Him, or pull my hair out... (and that hurts lol)

Thank you so much for your comment!

Aaron Reed said:

*hugs* Nice to meet you, BunniAngel!

Thanks for your prayers and well wishes for my wife and me.

I dealt with depression myself in the past, especially during the 90s, when, there were times that I'd do almost nothing but lie in bed when I wasn't at work. My mother suffered from similar depression during her life as well.

I also deal with some fear, especially in the winter when I'm afraid of slipping on ice. I also have an on-off fear of walking on wide shiny floors indoors, afraid I'm gonna slip. I have to deal more with that now than depression.

I wanna let you know you got a new friend who sympathizes. Meanwhile, we both can take comfort that God knows what we need and His love sustains us. I'm glad He's patient dealing with us. 

I think one of my biggest problems is my worry/fear. Right now I have so many things that could devastate my life and the lives of others in my head…
  • Jolene, amen to your advice to Bunni. I so need that as well for anything in my mind that distracts from looking straight to the Lord.

GBU, Jolene ! :D

• *hugs* Nice to meet you, BunniAngel!

Thanks for your prayers and well wishes for my wife and me.

I dealt with depression myself in the past, especially during the 90s, when, there were times that I'd do almost nothing but lie in bed when I wasn't at work. My mother suffered from similar depression during her life as well.

I also deal with some fear, especially in the winter when I'm afraid of slipping on ice. I also have an on-off fear of walking on wide shiny floors indoors, afraid I'm gonna slip. I have to deal more with that now than depression.

I wanna let you know you got a new friend who sympathizes. Meanwhile, we both can take comfort that God knows what we need and His love sustains us. I'm glad He's patient dealing with us. 

• That sounds about right... my mom is the same way (only worse), I do need to focus on today. Thank you so much :)

Buzz Dixon said:

The type of fear you are experiencing is anxiety, in which you're worrying about what might happen and missing out on the joy you could be experiencing right now.  Christ told us not to worry about tomorrow, there's enough trouble in each day that we don't have to borrow more from the future.

I think one of my biggest problems is my worry/fear. Right now I have so many things that could devastate my life and the lives of others in my head…
  • No its not a phobia, im not fearful of every single thing... just certain topics. Besides medical treatments carry side effects that are often worse than what its trying to cure, so no don't think I'm going to do that. It may just be a faith problem... But thank you for the comment :) I do appreciate it

Julio Molina-Muscara said:

I agree with Jolene's advice, plus I'd look for additional help. Have you considered professional help (doctor)? You have a phobia; it can be treated and cured. You may be able to cure by yourself, but it may take you too long. Professional help will speed things up. And God could be preparing someone right now to be the perfect aid for you; doctors have a gift, and it is God sent ;)

• lol I think I'm going to do that. You know all of us struggle with something, Its all about mindset. Keep focused on God. Trust God Trust God Trust God... yup... gonna do that. :) Thanks much!

Jolene Houser said:

The LORD is my light and my salvation--whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life--of whom shall I be afraid? -Psalm 27:1

Keep God First. Even if something drastic does happen to you God is always with you.

Hang your Fear on the cross everyday of every hour if you have to. Give it to him. And trust that he has it. That means dont take it up again. If you have to repeat "Trust god" over and over and over again then do it. Read your bible, study, and pray. Pray constantly. 

Hope this helps.

God Bless.

• I agree with Jolene's advice, plus I'd look for additional help. Have you considered professional help (doctor)? You have a phobia; it can be treated and cured. You may be able to cure by yourself, but it may take you too long. Professional help will speed things up. And God could be preparing someone right now to be the perfect aid for you; doctors have a gift, and it is God sent ;)

• The LORD is my light and my salvation--whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life--of whom shall I be afraid? -Psalm 27:1

Keep God First. Even if something drastic does happen to you God is always with you.

Hang your Fear on the cross everyday of every hour if you have to. Give it to him. And trust that he has it. That means dont take it up again. If you have to repeat "Trust god" over and over and over again then do it. Read your bible, study, and pray. Pray constantly. 

Hope this helps.

God Bless.

This reply was deleted.