CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Hosanna in the Highest - comics anthology

The new book is here!

HOSANNA IN THE HIGHEST is an 80 page anthology featuring stories from the Bible, history, and modern day testimonies, illustrated in sequential art (comics) form which include:

"The Gadarene" (from Luke's Gospel) - drawn by Alec Stevens
"Dr. Marcus Whitman" - drawn by Edwin B. Wallace
"Kawla Kuma: Man of the Mizo Hills" - drawn by Harold Johns
"Great is Thy Faithfulness" (the story behind the hymn) - drawn by Alec Stevens
"Arthur Lock: the 'Mayor' of Capital Avenue" - drawn by Charles L. Ramsay
"The Widow's Prophecy" (an account of Scandinavian evangelist Emanuel Minos and a powerful warning of God's impending judgment upon the nations, and the blessed hope found only in Christ) - drawn by Alec Stevens
and many superb single illustrations by U. S. Abell, Jack Hamm, John G. Lambrides, E. J. Pace, Henry Ossawa Tanner, and Edwin B. Wallace -- all men of like precious faith in Jesus Christ.

- carefully researched, richly edifying, and inspirational -

For more information visit the Calvary Comics site.

3449083135?profile=original

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Correction: Emanuel Minos was born in the Congo, not Sudan.
  • This is the opening story in this volume, "The Gadarene," (c) 2019 by Calvary Comics.  All rights reserved.

3884814687?profile=original3884814768?profile=original3884814730?profile=original3884814795?profile=original

• My friend Edwin B. Wallace went home to be with the Lord eight years ago.  Since the 1940s he was ministering in churches and on radio, and working as a cartoonist and illustrator for Christian books, magazines, and tracts.  It is my pleasure to share this one pager of his on missionary David Livingstone.

Enjoy!

3884830106?profile=original

• These pen-and-ink illustrations by U.S. Abell appear on a single page in this volume.  He came to know Jesus Christ as his Lord and personal Saviour at the Pacific Garden Mission in Chicago.  I once drew a comics tract for PGM some years ago, and you can see a few preview pages of it here.3884835739?profile=original

Calvary Comics
        • Here are the opening pages of "Man of the Mizo Hills."  It is the story of Kawla Kuma who grew up in Mizoram, a state in northeastern India.  In the late 1800s and early 1900s Christian missionaries with the Salvation Army, Presbyterians, and other denominations brought the Gospel to that region, and Kawla himself became a great soul winner.  

This story was drawn by Harold Johns for the Salvation Army's London headquarters which gave me express permission to publish it in this anthology.  Wikipedia (of all sources) reports that Mizoram today is 87% Christian.  This is a staggering figure, considering the Christian populace in India overall is only 2.3%.  

Enjoy the preview!

3884837915?profile=original3884837940?profile=original3884838064?profile=original3884838090?profile=original3884838012?profile=original3884837977?profile=original

• "Great is Thy Faithfulness," a beautiful hymn of the faith, was written by Thomas Chisholm in 1923 and set to music by William Runyon of the Moody Bible Institute in Chicago.  Only this year did it finally go into public domain, so I illustrated the story behind the hymn and its author in Hosanna in the Highest.  You can see one page of it here.  

Enjoy!3884839112?profile=original

• Amazing testimony, beautifully depicted. God is gracious.

• Yes, He is!

The best stories are true, and the ones the Lord Himself has written in the hearts and lives of those who are born again in Jesus Christ.  

All other stories are "what if" or "if only" stories for people seeking escapism (from everything from the mundane and ordinary to deep, pressing problems).  

We don't need the violent power fantasies of secular entertainment which cater to the fallen nature, but we can be nurtured and uplifted by the good news of the Gospel and its outworking to this present day and into eternity.

Philippians 4:8:  "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

• "Arthur Lock:  the 'Mayor' of Capitol Avenue" is the story of a Texas businessman who, during the Great Depression and WWII years, fell into a horrible pit of alcoholism, effectively ruining his marriage, career, and much of his life.  When he heard the Gospel message while in prison (for frequent public drunkenness) he received Christ as his Saviour and his life was wonderfully turned around.  In subsequent decades Arthur "Bunk" Lock ministered across the United States in various churches, civic centers, and other public forums, testifying of the grace of God in his life.

This comics story adaptation, long in public domain, I cleaned up, relettered, and reformatted, along with better descriptive information that I obtained regarding his testimony from various Christian journals of the 1950s.  It was drawn by Charles L. Ramsay, long time editorial cartoonist for the Pentecostal Evangel, an Assemblies of God publication.  Ramsay went home to be with the Lord in 1994, but I was able to gather biographic information on him from his son for the Christian Comics Pioneers website.  

Below are two pages from this much longer story which is part of the Hosanna in the Highest anthology.  Enjoy!

3884839912?profile=original3884839935?profile=original

This reply was deleted.