CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Hello All!

Well, I guess the appropriate place to start is the introductions.  So, hello everyone!

I always thought comics were stupid.  Then, I had an idea for a book for my kids and I figured that a comic book would be the best way to present it to them.  But ME?? Draw?  I've done some cartography for my own RPG adventures and I scored well in art class back in high school; but I didn't think that I could draw consistently enough to make a good comic book.

So I did some research.  I'm not out of luck yet!  Apparently some of the most respected names in comics can't draw -- think Stan Lee or Alan Moore.  So I researched how to WRITE for comics.  The books taught me the technical details, but not how to put it all together.  I'd actually have to READ some of those STUPID, childish things for that.  All the books heaped praise on Moore's "Watchmen," so I checked it out of the library.

Wow.  I was blown away by "Watchmen."  Comics were so much more than I ever thought they were.

Now, I no longer think of comics as kid's stuff.  I subscribe to the new "He-man & the Masters of the Universe" series and the digital weekly "Futures End," I follow IDW's "Ghostbusters" comics, and I have just discovered "Mouse Guard" thanks to Free Comic Book Day.  I talk about comic books at work, and my employees ask if I collect them.  I want to say NO, but it appears as though I really can't say that anymore...

So, while I never scripted the very idea that led me into comic books, I HAVE written some scripts for the entertainment of my wife and other close family members.  Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  A He-man series that explores some things left untouched by Filmation's old TV series.  None have ever been drawn, unfortunately.  But this has quickly become one of my favorite ways to tell a story, and I would really like to capitalize on this medium as a way to reach people for Jesus.  There is clearly a market for it, and I think that it is underutilized for evangelism.

And that is what brings me here!

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Great testimony man! Know that you are not alone in your vision to spread the gospel in this form!

• Welcome!

•     Evangelism in the Dungeon is a clever concept!  Bad puns and ridiculous situations could keep the theology from getting too heavy.  If its a D&B parody or evangelism parody, you're probably looking at small niche markets of people who have the background to appreciate the inside humor. However patience, great characters and sound writing can propel niche strips(for example Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Sonic the Hedgehog) into a much larger readership.  Go for it.

• Good to hear from everyone!  I'm also hoping I can meet an artist on here that can share my vision.  I was thinking webcomic with an actual storyline that would explore some explicitly Christian themes.  Like a group called to evangelize in a real-life fantasy world similar to a Dungeons & Dragons campaign setting (only it would be of my own design to avoid copyright issues, obviously).  Letting the characters work through evangelizing in a polytheistic world where the gods act visibly would let me utilize my love of Christian apologetics -- but I'd have to find a way to keep it interesting because a lot of the philosophy would be boring to the average reader.

Thanks for the encouragement!

• Welcome friend! I'm glad to see you here. When I was researching comics I found a very interesting stat that says one comic book printed has on average 13 readers. As for tracks you would have to print 100 for 1 person to read it through, so yeah comics are under used.
  • Welcome Cory!
  • Thank you for sharing Cory. Looking forward to seeing how you develop your vision.

This reply was deleted.