CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Comics & graphic novels of 2013

Just wanted to throw a question out there:  what are you reading in the way of (secular and/or Christian) comic books, strips, graphic novels, manga, online comics, etc. that's out there now.  Not what are your favorites of time past, but current reading in the year 2013 (it can be reprint material, too).  This is not to condemn or endorse any particular titles---just a survey sort of question.  If you don't read comics anymore, that's a legit answer, too.

Hope to hear from everyone who frequents this forum! 

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The only comics I read regularly are CAPTAIN SNES (www.captainsnes.com) and K C Green's comics (www.rumblo.com), and REAL LIFE COMICS (www.reallifecomics.com) if I'm bored. I read other comics irregularly mostly due to their update schedules...

Captain SNES
  • I know the survey is over, but several comics I have read recently include the Mega Man graphic novels, Samson the Nazirite, and a web comic called Brawl in the Family.

• I think this current age of digital internet-linked comics a golden age for amateurs!  The avalanche of unskilled productions is loud and messy and…just trying all sorts of new directions. One result is that a lot of former fans(myself included) have quit buying mainline comics and started buying books and art lessons( from quality institutions such as the Kubert school, yes?).  Our precious disposable time and funds are going into hanging out at internet blogs and galleries, working on our “riffs” and hoping that each new effort gets closer to the polished pieces by the pros at CCAS or featured at Kingstone Comics.

Is this a “better time” for godly comics than some previous time?    I’m immediately reminded of a portion of scripture addressed to all redeemed believers, from 1st Peter2:9 “But you are a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God.”   An era where more believers are actively trying to minister(as priests) rather than paying the pros will lower the overall quality of ministry yet increase more growth in the body of Christ.

• No apology needed, Capt.!  Seems the survey time has passed, so discussion is wide open.  I fully agree with you about comics from the Bronze Age on back.  Those are the titles that sold anywhere between 200,000 copies to a million copies each (in the U.S. alone), the titles which were easily available at every corner marketplace, drugstore, newsstand, etc.  It's such a niche market now, by comparison---and, lamentably, most fans and creators do not care about flagrant immorality in the material (same with television, film, commercial music, etc.). 

Kind regards in Christ Jesus,

Alec

• Several factors affect my comics reading habits: 1) the cost- whether it is digital or print, I can't pop down $10 or more every month on new titles. 2) There are no comic shops within 20+ miles of where I live- and that means going into Charlotte (yikes! there's a reason it's called NASCAR country!) which means more time, and money. 3) I grew up in the bronze age of comics and have a real affinity and appreciation for books from that time all the way back. So many comics have become so dark and gory and offensive for no other reason but to see how dark, gory and offensive they can be. Sadly, what was predicted about superheroes in "Kingdom Come" being a reckless, directionless group with little regard for protecting others or standing for something has come to pass, in my opinion. If that is what is largely being put on the shelves, then I'm honestly not interested. 4) I work at a library and have access to what they choose to order so for every Walking Dead or Batwoman graphic novel they get, I make sure there is an Ed Brubaker Capt. America or a Jeff Smith Shazam  included. I also receive books to review from time to time. 5) There are so many free public domain comics that I can and want to read, I probably could read non-stop for several years and not worry about running out. 6) Those rare times I can buy, I look for the deals in the back-issue bins- or hit the "under $.30" tab at New Kadia.

I know this was long reply, but you seemed to be as interested in why we do or don't read as much as what we read.

• My genuine thanks to those who answered, but those who didn't---and yet posted several times to other topics in this CCAS forum---have tacitly reconfirmed only one of many problems I've seen on Christian comics forums since the '90s.

I had hoped that if we had across-the-board honest answers here, that it would be a good litmus test for many things related to Christians and comics. 

One very legitimate answer was made on another post entirely on Monday:

"  I pretty much only read digital comics. More so now since comixology now allows indie titles. I use Comics plus but only because Act Of Faith was on it. I hope Act of Faith goes to comixology. Comics are easier to read on Comixology. But with the new innovations in HTML5 you will no longer need a reader to view comics in the guided view format!"

The point of the survey was to see if those on this forum actually read comics anymore.  From those who responded it seems that very few in turn read very few secular comics, and most here read digital comics made by their fellow amateur creators.  There is nothing wrong with that.  However, in the not-too-distant past there was a very open, very ugly divide between professionals and amateurs on several other (now-defunct) Christian comics forums.  Very hostile on both sides, unfortunately. 

Where there is unity (in the Spirit) God commands a blessing (see Psalm 133). 

Though sales have increased a bit in secular comics since last year (according to comichron.com), they are remarkably low overall.  Digital media hasn't brought in the numbers that secular (and Christian) publishers have hoped for, either.  Sadly, it appears that when digital edges out print media, the low cost of digital comics will also necessitate a lower cost in creators' pay.  At present, very, very few creators make their living in (secular) comics.  Most have to have work coming in from elsewhere.  The marketplace is so flooded that extremely few titles have runaway sales anymore.  It is very fragmented (this is also true in other media as well - where there were only 3 major U.S. networks several decades ago, there are now more channels than one knows what to do with). 

If a new (and effective) business model doesn't arise in this digital age where piracy is the norm and free material on the 'net is expected (and received) it doesn't bode well for consistent quality by paid professionals in the near future. 

I'm surprised that no one mentioned anything by Kingstone Comics on their 2013 reading list.  Anyone?   

• Hey there all! Well, I wasn't reading any comics except for the daily strip 'Luann' this year, until I came back to this site a few days ago. Now I'm definitely going to read:

Rust Angel

An Act of Faith

LightWeightz

all of which I started reading digitally this past weekend. Good stuff! Give 'em a try!

• I try to keep abreast w/ all my favorites listed, and mostly for the art cause most'a the stories are trash.

• Okay, I  had some time to think about the question and put my list together- I don't know if the new stuff is all that new, but it's what I have been reading this year-

Doug Tenapel's Cardboard; Hamster Sam's Odd-ventures in Space; Astonishing X-Men (where the original team travels to our time to save the Beast); Old Man Logan (Wolverine); The Front: Rebirth; Came the Dawn- Stories by Wallace Wood; Rebecca & Ernest; The Tower Treasure; The Amulet series; and a ton of the public domain comics on DCM and ComicBookPlus. I just have a real affinity for the older comics and the great artists like Matt Baker, Wally Wood, George Tuska, Jack Cole, Alex Toth, Jack Kirby, etc, etc.

• In terms of Christian works I mostly come across them through here. Rust Angel by Matt Tirre and Allegories of the Way by Mel Todd are two of my favourites. I like their take on angels, giving the more of a culture and a social structure, and can't say I'm not a fan of their artwork, either. I also enjoy following the installments of The Sparrow by Nathan Lucas, Celsus the Apologist by Sven Jacobs (always good for a chuckle), and Abalon [of California] by Brien Sparling. It's nice to see a different take on female fantasy heroes and anthropomorphic characters, and get the occasional humorous reality check.

By way of secular print comics I've been giving some of the Bat titles from the New 52 and some of the Superior Spider-Man titles a shot, along with the Hunger miniseries from Marvel. I tried giving DC's Trinity War event a chance, but dropped it in part due to sold out issues at my local comic shops and because the first issue of the Infinity miniseries by Marvel impressed me. Picked up Batman: Hush and Age of Apocalypse: The X-Terminated as well. Titles from independent or lesser known secular publishers haven't really impressed me, save for Jupiter's Legacy by Image, though its inconsistent release schedule is frustrating. 

This reply was deleted.