CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS
I've recently discovered e-books for my PDA phone and I'm really enjoying the ability to read anywhere. I've been thinking about adapting it to comics. I'd really have to format images for the small screen but i think it's possible and with all the boom in this area, I think It could be a main vein for the direction of the comic industry. It makes sense, but there are poblems with getting your images on peoples phones- If everyone's hooked up to the net on their phones in the near future then that would solve that issue.

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'm building in Tyrano Builder (buy it at Steam videogame network) and deploying to android. So far, tests are good. I need a script to turn it into a graphical novel with different endings.
  • A group in India contacted our ministry saying they had a "complete comic eReader developed for Mobile which can take existing digital content and convert them into eComics for mobile device." They seemed to be primarily interested in existing graphic novel adaptations of the Bible such as 'Manga Messiah' and the 'Lion Graphic Bible.' Here's a link to a video demo of their app:

http://www.screencast.com/t/IvSnQHRh

And here's a link to a "guided tour" of another app being promoted as a "store, library, and reader":

http://www.comixology.com/iphoneapp/

Nate
    COMIX35
  • very interesting... I guess it's great if you already have a following or a web presence to work from- it's another way to connect or draw your audience in
  • Here's a new article about this topic: Why mobile is the future of comic strips

http://www.fiercemobilecontent.com/story/why-mobile-future-comic-st...

"The digital future of comics, books, magazines and newspapers took a significant turn this week when online retail giant Amazon.com announced it will introduce a free Kindle e-book application for Apple's iPhone and iPod touch devices..."

"...the late, great Charles Schulz conceived Peanuts in a four-panel format that could be arranged horizontally, vertically or even as a square, all dependent on the needs of the newspapers that published it--by extension, an entire strip could fit horizontally across an iPhone screen, or as a square on a Kindle screen, or even as a panel-by-panel slideshow optimized for a smaller, more basic handset, and still remain true to Schulz's original vision. Moreover, a comic strip can offer a complete and satisfying experience whether you read just one strip or several weeks' worth at one time--after all, the strips were written and drawn for readers to enjoy on a daily basis..."
  • thanks heaps Nate. looks like there should already be heaps of info to google about how to get involved in the creation of Manga on phones. probly some kind of flash software would seem to work. I'm a bit scared of learning too much programming! (all my webpages still use straight html)
  • Just FYI, here are a couple past items about that from the "Quotes & Facts" section of our CCI website:

http://www.christiancomicsinternational.org/quote_asia01.html

"In Japan, mobile phone sales of electronic books, including manga, grew 331.3% from 1.6 billion yen (about $14 million) to 6.9 billion yen ($58 million) in 2006. The Digital Content Association that reported the results expected sales to reach $100 million by year end." (From the Digital Content Association of Japan, October '07)

"Japanese women in particular like to read manga on their mobiles. It is an enthusiasm with potential for growth and is adding sales both for publishers and for Japanese flat-rate providers. Mobiles with high-quality LCD displays contribute to making it fun to read on the move in Japan. In addition, the 3G standard (UTMS) is already widely in place there. The Japanese are evidently happy to spend money for their fun. Around 30 to 40 cents is charged per comic page. Given the mass consumption, this adds up. According to newspaper reports, the trend in reading manga on mobile phones has already produced increased sales for this year. At the same time, publishing companies have reacted to the fact that the readers of mobile manga are predominantly female by bringing (even) more titles onto the market for this target group. Nobody knows exactly why it is Japanese women in particular who indulge in this new passion. One reason could be that in this way they can also read titles that they feel unable just to go and buy in a manga shop. Encouraged by the Japanese example, American publishing companies also want to profit from the trend. Providers such as Tokyopop and GoComics are at the ready and are optimistic about the mobile comics future, with the technical conditions now also better in the USA, making reading on the move more enjoyable." (From Spiegel Online and PW Comics Week, October '06)
This reply was deleted.