CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

CLENDENNEN: SOLDIER OF THE CROSS

My new graphic novel is now in print, and preview pages can be seen here:

http://www.calvarycomics.com/comics/CLENDENNEN/index.html

Other titles available from my Calvary Comics imprint can be seen here:

www.calvarycomics.com

Enjoy!

Alec <><

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This seventh book isn't a comic book or graphic novel, but a biography in the vein of E. J. PACE: CHRISTIAN CARTOONIST (which ran 250 pages and had hundreds of his drawings and many rare photos of Dr. Pace).

In regards to comics, I usually finish a page a day, pencils and inks. Color may be a full day for a single page. Research time varies; I spent six months researching SADHU SUNDAR SINGH before I set pencil to paper. During the school year I teach college art at the Joe Kubert School of Cartoon and Graphic Art, Inc. and also art to homeschoolers at a church near my house. Right now these books are 'after hours' pursuits; five are in print, the sixth is about to go to press, and number seven is 3/4 completed.

Thanks for your interest!

Kind regards in Christ Jesus,

Alec
  • Wow. Ambitious!

What's a breakdown like for you on doing a page?

i.e. Research time, layout, sketch, inks and then colors? And the 450 page book - are you doing that book in your spare time, or is that your day in day out "job"?

Again, I really love(d) your Singh book.
  • Or perhaps September. It's being formatted for printing now as we speak. In the meantime, I'm 330 pages into a 450 page book due out, God willing, next spring (if I don't collapse first!).
  • Thank you, Kyle! My next book should be out this October.
  • Congratulations Alec! I love the book. You are doing a great job of bringing the stories and testimonies of these world-changing evangelists to a new generation. Kids need to see these and receive the same spiritual anointing and awakening that you illustrate in the lives of these men and women of God who helped to shape our Christian heritage.
  • wow- what a blessing to live to 86! I hope I can do the same- i will pray for him to be in the best of health.

i never thought of just sending him a book! i think i'll do just that!

thanks so much for the information!
  • Chick is 86, and has his health issues, so I doubt he would be physically up for doing anything beyond what his present ministry is. I wouldn't be too concerned about what he thinks of certain aspects of your comics, but rather, what does our Lord Jesus have to say about them? We can find His counsel in the holy scriptures, and the Holy Spirit will confirm or convict any born again believer's heart that is open to His direction/correction.

Still, if you want to know what Chick thinks, send him a copy and see if he replies.
  • that's really cool. i would assume that he would be like a lot of older gentlemen I know- very much holding to KJV and definite foundations of our faith- maybe coming off as too hardcore, but at the same time, having such a heart for people that if you really know them, you know that anything that might come off as harsh is really purposed out of a concern to see people saved and to come under the Lordship of Christ.

also-
    do you know if he is interested in having an active role in discipling the new generation of evangelical comic creators? i know he has already written way more evangelical comics than anybody- but a "Presenting the Gospel through Comics, the Jack Chick Way" could be such an awesome book! (to me, at least)

I also know that I would be beyond thrilled to know what he might think of my comics.

but another concern of mine is that i don't think he would not approve of many things in my comics- such as using translations other than the KJV and having characters in a Christian rock band. would he see that things like this are purposed in reaching the context of the post modern generations?

Would he care to oversee us young kids or might he think we're all too reprobate?

sorry if this is distracting your original thread!

dan
  • Thank you, Daniel!

I've been in touch with Jack Chick for about ten years (when I published my first Christian comic book). He had his secretary email me, asking me to call him at the office. I did, then he gave me his home phone number. He was and is very excited about the books I'm publishing, and I'm flattered, as his tracts had a big impact on my childhood. He is a dear, sweet man of God, not at all manic as some of his detractors try to paint him. Knowing that Jack was in the U.S. Army in WWII in the Pacific, I was not surprised at his enthusiasm over the CLENDENNEN book (B. H. Clendennen was in the USMC, and the Marines were always first into the action; the army would later come in to 'clean up').
  • That looks great, Alec! I'm really glad things are going well for you.

Also, i meant to ask before, but i'm wondering about your contact with Jack Chick. How it was initiated and how it continues, if you'd be willing to diverge. either way that's cool. i don't think i've heard of anyone else having contact with him!
This reply was deleted.