CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

christian artwork and the Hokey factor!

I grew up in the church and I can honestly say that any creative christian endeavor always left me thinking just one word. HOKEY. Just take a look at the christian-themed childrens programing and books and even movies. I hear christians say this all the time about christian movies, “That was a wonderful movie, such an incredible message!” the truth is that christian art is terrible.(Generally speaking) the message is wonderful because the Gospel is wonderful. But the way the gospel is presented is so distracting. I don't think I am all that great as an artist I am competent but believe me there are people who make my knees tremble out there! So don't think I am saying I have arrived!

But I think people in the church see art as an easy way to serve the Lord and besides its fun, right? If people approached construction like the way Christians approach any art field the houses would not stand! There is no other industry where where people can think they can excel with out putting the work into learning the craft. People think that just because they want to serve God in an art form they shouldn't have to study that art because God will just bless them cause their hearts are in the right place? I'm not saying that it can't happen but I have never seen it happen. Hey I wanna build your house for you, I have never worked with carpenter or studied house framing but I really want to serve in a construction site. But of course with art you can pretty much say that. On the other hand you have incredible artist like say Glen keene who is a christian and animated so many movies at Disney feature animation and never really take a stand on all the new age junk that comes out of that studio. So what would I like to see? Someone better then me taking a stand and starting up a studio that is clear on its christian convictions and making some quality artwork and storytelling. But like that bugs bunny cartoon goes.. “ THIS LOOKS LIKE A JOB FOR SUPERMAN!..... but, since he aint around I guess I'll hafta do it myself..”

your thoughts?

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I know Patrick Scott and I've had several conversations with him.  I'm thinking that you might have caught him on a bad day.  Times are tough and to see something that you've poured your heart into not reach expectations can be disheartening. 

I have boxes of a graphic novel called Proverbs and Parables in my garage, but I'm still plugging away at producing more material, but on a smaller scale.  I just love the meduim too much to give up.

The BunniAngel said:

OOH That is an AWESOME List!!! I am definitely going to have to go look them up! Thanks so much for posting this.

One said side note, I got to talk to the creator of ArchAngels, and for a christian he was anything BUT encouraging. HE basically told me to stop all the art and writing projects that I was doing, give up the dream because in his mind its 'not worth the effort'. Very disheartening.

Ralph Ellis Miley said:

I am going to disagree.  I am going to list all the major companies that produced Christian comic books produced by paid professionals

Metron Press, a comic book venture backed by the American Bible Society

David C. Cook produced illustrated versions of the Bible by Andre La Blanc and Sergio Cariello

Urban Ministries Inc. produced the Guardian Line of comics

Zondervan- Z Graphic Novels and Revelation

Thomas Nelson-  Early venture with Marvel, then produced the Serenity series from Barbour Publishing In.

Community Comics which is now Lamppost Inc.

Tyndale House- Left Behind series produced by Wildstorm and the Manga Bible

Foursquare Mission Press- International tracts

Assemblies of God- PowerMark series

Dekker Graphic Novels- Circle Media Inc.

Kingstone Comics

and finally Spire Comics/Archie Comics

All these ventures produced quality comics and their combined numbers dwarf any comics produced by independents most are familiar with.  Now let go on the the list produced by smaller independent publishers.

Christine Kerrick

ArchAngels

Aida-Zee/ROX35 Nate Butler

Kidz of the King- Reggie Byers

Rescue Me

Pakkin's Land- Gary Shipman

Those are just a few that come to mind that are quality books produced by Christians. Not only is the art professional, the writing for the majority of the ventures mentioned is also professional.

I grew up in the church and I can honestly say that any creative christian endeavor always left me thinking just one word. HOKEY. Just take a look at…
  • The illustrated Bible by David C. Cook may not be innovative (retelling of Bible stories is a staple), but it is a HOT seller.  The illustrations are outstanding.  It is a best seller in the Christian market and it is a hot seller at secular conventions such as Comic Con.  When ArchAngels first came out, it sold very well. (Angels vs. demons is nothing new)  Serenity which was aimed towards the teen girl market was another title that flew of the shelves.  Young women would buy entire sets of the title.  Urban Ministries aimed at the untapped market of Christian African Americans. However, it's sales were very poor compared to another title it had, Kidz of the King by Reggie Byers.  Christine Kerrick's books sell well with women.  These are the titles that I'm aware that have had some level of success. These other titles may have been successful, but I have no knowledge of the sales. 

leo said:

okay so I had a chance to look at the list, and they were well done not terribly

innovative but well done, thanks for sharing
    leo said:

maybe he was just having a bad day! its hard and discouraging to make comics these days

The BunniAngel said:

OOH That is an AWESOME List!!! I am definitely going to have to go look them up! Thanks so much for posting this.

One said side note, I got to talk to the creator of ArchAngels, and for a christian he was anything BUT encouraging. HE basically told me to stop all the art and writing projects that I was doing, give up the dream because in his mind its 'not worth the effort'. Very disheartening.

Ralph Ellis Miley said:

I am going to disagree.  I am going to list all the major companies that produced Christian comic books produced by paid professionals

David C. Cook produced illustrated versions of the Bible by Andre La Blanc and Sergio Cariello

Thomas Nelson-  Early venture with Marvel, then produced the Serenity series from Barbour Publishing In.

Kingstone Comics

All these ventures produced quality comics and their combined numbers dwarf any comics produced by independents most are familiar with.  Now let go on the the list produced by smaller independent publishers.

Christine Kerrick

ArchAngels

Rescue Me

Those are just a few that come to mind that are quality books produced by Christians. Not only is the art professional, the writing for the majority of the ventures mentioned is also professional.

I grew up in the church and I can honestly say that any creative christian endeavor always left me thinking just one word. HOKEY. Just take a look at…

• okay so I had a chance to look at the list, and they were well done not terribly

innovative but well done, thanks for sharing
    leo said:

maybe he was just having a bad day! its hard and discouraging to make comics these days

The BunniAngel said:

Ralph Ellis Miley said:

Kingstone Comics

Christine Kerrick

ArchAngels

Rescue Me

http://www.christiancomicarts.com/forum/comment/show?id=544853%3AComment%3A154470&xn_out=json&first…
  • maybe he was just having a bad day! its hard and discouraging to make comics these days

The BunniAngel said:

Ralph Ellis Miley said:

Kingstone Comics

Christine Kerrick

ArchAngels

Rescue Me

• OOH That is an AWESOME List!!! I am definitely going to have to go look them up! Thanks so much for posting this.

Ralph Ellis Miley said:

Kingstone Comics

Christine Kerrick

ArchAngels

Rescue Me

• thanks Ralph for sharing that list. I see there are many comics that I was not aware of whose quality is right up there. That is encouraging. 

• I am going to disagree.  I am going to list all the major companies that produced Christian comic books produced by paid professionals

Kingstone Comics

Christine Kerrick

ArchAngels

Rescue Me

• Buzz, did you create Serenity or does some company own it?

• Buzz: I'm not criticizing your work (which I must sheepishly admit to never having read... :-| ), unless your work is like that heh. Where can one buy Serenity?

LOL You and your Luanne.  

• Friends, I think a lot of comics that are poorly drawn are awesome! XKCD, and Cyanide and Happiness, and an array of sprite comics warm my heart with mirthful whimsy. These are the type of comics that are shared on Facebook and enjoyed by all. The hokey factor (even according to the definition of 'hokey') is all about attitude and mentality, not the art form. Christian comics are hokey because many think the Gospel spreads the best if it is comparable to an after school special or a lifetime movie. Rebellious girl/guy swears/bullies/commits adultery, discovers God via tears and hyperbolic emotionalism, then becomes reformed girl/guy, with nothing to them except an air of purity devoid of personality. 

I mean, amirite? 

This reply was deleted.