CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

A little direction or advice...

Hello everyone. I'm currently knee deep in a 2+year project creating a graphic novel adapted from the harmony of the Gospels. The end result is a 220 page comic version of the life of Christ that I want to use as a ministering tool to youth who might not be so quick to pick up their bible, but may be interested in this instead. I'm pretty confident in the creative aspect of this but have little idea as to how to get this published or financed. I'm including the youtube link here for anyone interested in viewing it (hope that's okay). Your feedback/advice, etc will be greatly appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyB2ZtZ8zCw

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Lol. Yeah I'd love to see it finished, too! I have looked into some of these. I was interested in Ka-Blam, but as it turns out I might have an intereted party that has approached me as of yesterday.. If you guys could pray that God continues to bring this project to light, I would be thankful. God is good.

Favian Ee said:
    Hi Brian! I love your style! And I also love Bible-based comics! I'd love to see the comic when it's completed.

I was wondering if the backgrounds in your comic are going to be the same as those in the youtube video. The realistic photographs might have a little difficulty blending in with your style and may stand out quite a bit.

Have you considered Print-on-demand publishing like the following:
    www.Lulu.com
    www.ka-blam.com
    www.comixpress.com
    www.cafepress.com
  • The backgrounds will be the same, although some of them will continue to be touched up. I use reference photography- for example, photos of the actual Jordan River- and then applied filters over them and digitally painted in or out elements. I felt like it provided a vivd contrast in style (blending cartoon with photography).

Favian Ee said:
    Hi Brian! I love your style! And I also love Bible-based comics! I'd love to see the comic when it's completed.

I was wondering if the backgrounds in your comic are going to be the same as those in the youtube video. The realistic photographs might have a little difficulty blending in with your style and may stand out quite a bit.

www.Lulu.com
    www.ka-blam.com
    www.comixpress.com
    www.cafepress.com
  • Hi Brian! I love your style! And I also love Bible-based comics! I'd love to see the comic when it's completed.

www.Lulu.com
    www.ka-blam.com
    www.comixpress.com
    www.cafepress.com
  • Excellent presentation!!! I would suggest that you go to www.createspace.com. It is a very cost effective way to self-publish your book. We were able to produce two 40 pg. graphic novels at little cost to us. If you're looking to a major publisher to finance and distribute your book, you may want to look at those that are currently producing comics, such as Zondervan.
  • Good Call. Thanks. I uploaded a few of them. They are still in need of text or reworking, but they give a general idea of what it will look like overall.

Calvary Comics said:
    I hope you'll share a page or two with the rest of us, too! On your page on this site there is an 'upload' section where you can have a slideshow of images which can be enlarged when clicked upon.

Blessings in Christ,

Alec Stevens
  • I hope you'll share a page or two with the rest of us, too! On your page on this site there is an 'upload' section where you can have a slideshow of images which can be enlarged when clicked upon.

Blessings in Christ,

Alec Stevens
  • Sure. I can send you a page or so if you'd like. I'm not sure if I can send them from here, so if you want to send me your email, I can send you a pdf or two. You can write me at briandawson101@comcast.net

Lee Weeks said:
    Hi Brian,

Yeah, I've been doing this for a while -- mostly for Marvel, but there have been little stints at DC and Darkhorse over the years, too.

Please keep us informed as to when you take this to your church (or another church), so we can pray for you and the project. And, when and if you're comfortable, I'd love to see an actual page or two with lettering, the layout, and such (but only if you're okay with it).

God bless you, Brian!

In Messiah,

Lee
  • Hi Brian,

Yeah, I've been doing this for a while -- mostly for Marvel, but there have been little stints at DC and Darkhorse over the years, too.

Please keep us informed as to when you take this to your church (or another church), so we can pray for you and the project. And, when and if you're comfortable, I'd love to see an actual page or two with lettering, the layout, and such (but only if you're okay with it).

God bless you, Brian!

In Messiah,

Lee
  • Thanks, Lee. I appreciate the input. Not to pry, but your name seems familiar to me. Have you worked in the comic book industry? I feel like I've seen the name (your name?) before in mainstream comics. In regards to your response, I am planning to speak to my church once this is a bit further along and see if they might be willng to do exactly what you're suggesting here.

Lee Weeks said:
    Fantastic presentation, Brian -- a dramatic invitation!

Couldn't help notice there was no credit (humanly speaking) in the clip. I get a great sense from this as well as the tone of your posts and testimony (on your page) that you are - as John the baptist said and all of us must do - decreasing that He may increase. Praise the Lord for that and for your efforts to glorify Him (though I hope you _will_ include a by-line on the actual book! :) ).

On distribution/financing, I wonder if it would be feasible for your church to partner/sponsor you in this project? We've seen the Hendricks brothers use this approach in producing and distributing Christian films ("Facing the Giants" and "Fireproof"). I wonder if there's a way to do a similar thing with a Christian graphic novel project?

Anyway, I pray you will seek God's guidance above all and that He will lead you exactly where you need to be at every phase.

And I agree with you; Jesus has already been glorified in the doing of the work. It is a wonderful addition to your already powerful testimony, Brian.

The Lord bless and keep you always.

In Messiah,

Lee
  • Fantastic presentation, Brian -- a dramatic invitation!

Couldn't help notice there was no credit (humanly speaking) in the clip. I get a great sense from this as well as the tone of your posts and testimony (on your page) that you are - as John the baptist said and all of us must do - decreasing that He may increase. Praise the Lord for that and for your efforts to glorify Him (though I hope you _will_ include a by-line on the actual book! :) ).

On distribution/financing, I wonder if it would be feasible for your church to partner/sponsor you in this project? We've seen the Hendricks brothers use this approach in producing and distributing Christian films ("Facing the Giants" and "Fireproof"). I wonder if there's a way to do a similar thing with a Christian graphic novel project?

Anyway, I pray you will seek God's guidance above all and that He will lead you exactly where you need to be at every phase.

And I agree with you; Jesus has already been glorified in the doing of the work. It is a wonderful addition to your already powerful testimony, Brian.

The Lord bless and keep you always.

In Messiah,

Lee
This reply was deleted.