CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

A little direction or advice...

Hello everyone. I'm currently knee deep in a 2+year project creating a graphic novel adapted from the harmony of the Gospels. The end result is a 220 page comic version of the life of Christ that I want to use as a ministering tool to youth who might not be so quick to pick up their bible, but may be interested in this instead. I'm pretty confident in the creative aspect of this but have little idea as to how to get this published or financed. I'm including the youtube link here for anyone interested in viewing it (hope that's okay). Your feedback/advice, etc will be greatly appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyB2ZtZ8zCw

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I like your cartooning, and think the trailer was especially well-presented. Bravo! Harmonizing the Gospels is a wonderful idea, too, and I don't know if I've ever seen that done in comics. There are so many accounts in the four Gospels which give us partial details which, seen together, give us a fuller picture of key events. It's important for any Bible student to cross-reference these (same when reading 1 & 2 Samuel, 1 & 2 Kings, and 1 & 2 Chronicles for similar harmonizing of parallel accounts for a "3-D" view of events).

One of the tricky things for any artist when illustrating Biblical text is to make the individual characters recognizable. All these bearded Jewish men! One may have to go the "Gilligan's Island" route and have them wearing the exact same clothes for several years' experiences (for the sake of the viewing audience).

I have one very minor criticism which may only apply to the trailer, and not the actual comic story: a number of times in the trailer there is a white 'halo' around the black holding lines of figures. Remember that line is not form, it is symbolic of the horizon of form. What I mean is that we can lose/sacrifice the outline, and the interior form is not harmed at all.

All the best to you on this! Pray it through, and we'll stand together in prayerful agreement on God's placement of it. Kudos, Brian!

Alec
    www.calvarycomics.com
  • Buzz, thanks for the suggestions. I think that once i get the artwork completed fo rthe graphic novel, it will lend itself to other possibilities such as those you presented. I will have to look into that.

Buzz Dixon said:
    Wow! Impressive work. I like your style -- stylized enough to really bring out the dynamics of the story, realistic enough to not lose sight of the message.

As for marketing, I would suggest (a) releasing it as a motion comic via iPhone app or something similar and (b) approaching publishers who deal with Christian education & curriculum (Cook Ministries, Strang Publications, maybe some others; Google should be able to locate all the top players for you).

Best of luck with this -- it looks really impressive.
  • I like some of the parallax scrolling in the presentation. That's all the comments someone like me could offer though :-/.
  • Thanks, Chris. I appreciate the response. It is a labor of love above all else. I would like to see this reach others, but have truly resigned myself that if it never makes it to any stands, I still know that it has glorified the Lord in the work. However, you're correct. I look forward to the days of going to bed before 1am eventually.

Christopher Heidt said:
    It looks fantastic. You have a great style, very dynamic. Jesus looks manly, active in His stances, and forceful, which is great – His authority comes through. It's a professional After Effects presentation as well, great instrumentals, dramatic. I'm looking forward to seeing the graphic novel on the stands! It must have really been your whole daily life for a while, rather grueling at times, but it looks like it will have been worth it. Anyways, be very blessed, and may your project win the lost and hurting to the Savior.

Chris
  • It looks fantastic. You have a great style, very dynamic. Jesus looks manly, active in His stances, and forceful, which is great – His authority comes through. It's a professional After Effects presentation as well, great instrumentals, dramatic. I'm looking forward to seeing the graphic novel on the stands! It must have really been your whole daily life for a while, rather grueling at times, but it looks like it will have been worth it. Anyways, be very blessed, and may your project win the lost and hurting to the Savior.

Chris
This reply was deleted.