CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Nude figure drawing: What do you think?

God bless you all at CCAS, I have a question that alot of artist ask me and makes me think. Do you think that it is ok for artist to draw or have books on nude figure drawing. You know how to draw still life and to draw people you have to draw them posing nude. I tell them that it is different, they are not suggestive poses they are for artist to interpret the human form. What do you think?

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I don't find it nessesary, cuz I plan on drawing people with clothes on. I think there are ways to study muscles and the body without resorting to a live, nude model. Whenever I need a referance for hands or a certain body pose, I get my camera out and take snapshots of myself in various poses. It really helps with hand gestures, for sure. But it also helps with clothing cuz thats harder to draw then just muscles.
    • agreed, i do the same and i don't intend to draw nudes either, i was just something i think that i was standing up for and i didn't have other opinions on that matter especially if they are not artist.
      • Since I wanted to advance my skill for illustrating superheroes, nude models was a great source for studying how the Deltoids, Pecs, Triceps, Quadriceps,(etc.) all form in different positions. I was adamant for drawing those "GIL KANE" poses in fighting sequences. I even went below the skin & studied how the bones interacted with different poses (What does the Pelvis do, what happens to the Scapula, the Femur, the Vertebrae? etc..). But side from nude models,...Sport Photography (Sports Illustrated) was another excellent source too. But athough I was passionate to learn the anatomy,...I agree with Mike too. You gotta know how to draw people with clothes on.

I motto was: "You have to know how to draw Clark Kent in a suit/ as well as SuperMan's with his muscles". That led me to explore different fashions too. I believe the best artist is the one that can illustrate the ACTION SCENES as well as the DINNER SCENES.

Thank God we can learn so much with what's around us and that he bless us with the talent to capature it & draw illustrate it.

PRAISE GOD!!! The Possibilites are endless!!!
        • Amen brother, amen. Yeah I also learned that if you can make a talking scene exciting then you can do the action scenes intense. Yeah, I am self taught and learned the anatomy with nuscle magazines and sports illustrated, now I just use catalogues and mma magazines for great lean muscles in action.
  • During my freshman year in college, I was a little intimidated & nervous when we had nude models in class. But as time went by, my desire to learn the the anatomy (muscles, skeleton, contortion, etc.) became so strong, it didn't bother me anymore. I kind of started approaching it the way a physician would. My drive to master drawing the human figure, drowned out those intimidations, idiosyncrasies, taboos, etc.
    • Thats what i try to tell people and the still seem not to get it. I have a couple of anatomy books and they are like isn't that wrong for a Christian and I said the exact same thing about doctors and other professionals. And of course i said about adam and eve and how man has perverted the beauty that God has created.
This reply was deleted.