CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Replies

• Rulesin christian comics, thats something that you have to make your own boundaries for. My book, although there is no swearing, the main character does use foul language, but I will be using symbols for the swears, the reason is for the transformation of my character in the story. I agree with the skimpy women outfits and I believe that is because we are used to the comics showing that form. The same can be said for the gritty. I want my book to be read by all, especially non believers because that is what I am aiming for. We are saved, but we need to go after the unsaved.
  • I love this guy! Buzz, I just have to say you are fantastic and well-spoken might I add. After reading through everyones's entries I would say this....I agree, there should be no rules in a comic, whether it is "christian" or not. Ultimately, in your comic ventures as with everything else in life, the decisions you make are between you and God. Obviously, yes, some people might be put off by "skimpy" clothes, violence, or this or that. Others will not. I think you have to create from your heart and the right people will navigate to the book in the end. You may upset a lot of christian's, but you may also gain a lot of fans that respect your work. Tough trade-off, but I think as long as you pray about it and follow your heart, not the ideas and will of others, that the right material will present itself and do the work it was meant to do. Hope all that made sense! I understand keeping comics and other christian things "safe", but I like to make an impact. I want things to be remembered and make a strong impression on people. What can I say, I like to push buttons. It get's people thinking, which everyone should do more of! Take care everyone!
  • I know I am new to the scene and don't have much cred but here is my take.

I do agree that you really should determine what you want to do before trying to set any kind of "rules" on you work. If you feel comfortable putting people in next to nothing and you don't feel weird or anything doing it then go for it. You will draw the kind of crowd that likes that kind of thing. But be for warned, at some point you may not realize that you are being influenced by them instead of you influencing them. If you start compromising your belief just to do a comic then the comic is the problem.

I believe that comics can be done without Bible verse after verse being thrown at the reader. I also believe you can re-word things so that it is not quoting the scripture but still getting the message across. You don't have to be blunt. You can ease it in a little at a time over several issues and let the reader come to the same conclusion as the character(s) and if the reader can figure it out just before that will make them have confidence in themselves and let the Holy Spirit move more freely though their thoughts.

The main thing is pray about it and let God lead you into what he has for you to do with this incredible gift He has given you. Ask Him to direct you to the people that will give you the guidance and leadership that you need. Don't be afraid to say, "That doesn't seem right." Usually, it's because it isn't. You have started that by coming here and asking your question. Look at all the Godly advise that you already have been given. Take it and pray about it. Let God direct your path and you will find more blessings than you can hold.
  • Everything depends on your answer to two questions
    1) who do you think will buy your comic, and
    2) where can they buy it.

If you expect Christians will buy your book, that gives you a certain set of rules. If you think your book will appeal to non-believers, another set of rules will apply. If you want your book to be in Christian bookstores, that adds some extra rules onto the "Christian readers" set of rules. If you want your book in a Barnes & Noble or comic store, the rules change. That's reality.

You learn or find the rules after you decide what you want to do, not before.
  • The modesty point is so true. I have heard cartoonist make the excuse that they were only showing how people in the world are and that is why the characters are often dressed in skimpy outfits. But there is a way to do this without highlighting their bodies and still being modest in what you show.
    • The part that really bothers me is that even some of the "nice girls" show a little too much skin, e.g. Maggie in !Hero and Rachelle in the Circle trilogy. Why is this?
      • It bothers you because you know it's wrong. "The acts of the sinful nature are obvious... impurity..."
  • Please have the women dress modestly. :-) That seems to be a problem even with some well-known Christian graphic novels.
    • Can I draw female similar style like Michael Turner or J. Scott Campbell? For example, Aspen Matthews from Fathom and Abbie Chase from Danger Girl...
  • Unless I misunderstand what you are asking, there are no universally agreed upon guidelines for making "Christian comics." This should not surpise anyone since many who call themselves "Christians" can't even agree on what is a true Christian. That said, when I make "Christian comics," I strive to cover these three areas:
    1) Educate readers about Jesus, the Bible or being a Christian in the story
    2) Entertain readers with topics related to Christianity in the story
    3) Keep the material as all-ages as possible (no swearing, no immorality displayed, etc.) with the scriptures as my guidline on how to behave myself

I hope this helps. If you are interested in viewing the comics I have made online with a Christian theme, go here:
    http://joechiappetta.blogspot.com/search/label/Christian
    Joe Chiappetta
    Laughs, inspiration and insight from award-winning Silly Daddy cartoonist, rare digital artist, and author Joe Chiappetta
This reply was deleted.