CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS
Tattooing has allowed it ’s artists to go from being backroom Picassos to MTV celebrities.But is this art form for the Christian Visual artist?I bounced this off of our "Art Lessons from God!" Online Community to see what the thoughts were about the subject >>

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Ask Holy Spirit. Submit your craft to him and let him lead.

I personally have no appeal for tattoos.  I prefer to draw on paper, books and walls :-D

• Yes, Christian artists should create tattoos, but only if they do it well. Christians should be the best tattoo artists.

• Personally, I have no problem with tattoos as long as they're temporary, like henna for example. People in one half of my culture do beautiful floral henna designs on their hands and feet when they get married.  It fades after a few weeks.

My question is, what is the motive for getting that tattoo?  Is it to bring attention to your flesh? To feed your conceit? Do you just want a little life verse on your knuckle?

Personally, I'm more concerned with tattooing the truth of Christ on my heart. I just... don't have an interest or use for tattoos other than temporary beautification (I'd rather draw on paper than myself!) Seek the Lord first and let his Word and Spirit lead you.

• I think this is a dangerous attitude to take. Jesus did not take the OT "with a grain of salt" if anything he reinforces the OT:

Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished. Therefore whoever relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches others to do the same will be called least in the kingdom of heaven, but whoever does them and teaches them will be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

(Matthew 5:17-19 ESV)

Paul did not treat the law that way either...

For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.

(Romans 15:4 ESV)

Jesus and Paul quoted the OT so much that if you were to remove such references you would not be left with very many words from either.

A "pinch of salt" is from an old cure for poison. I don't think that would help literally, and I don't think it serves you well with regard to scripture.

Leslie Ezeh said:

I know several would disagree with me, but personally I take the Old Testament with a grain of salt: I mean it seems to accept practices like polygamy, and obviously the majority of Christians don't practice this today. Leviticus specifically mentions a lot of rules I've yet to see a Christian follow: can you honestly say you do burnt-offerings? We can't judge people based on certain bible verses and yet ignore the others at the same time: that's hypocrisy.

Darren, it's not so much that many churches are trying to be like the world: it's just that Christians can't just alienate themselves and expect to attract non-believers. Jesus is a perfect example (of course) for he was constantly in the midst of sinners. The key is be among the secular world but not be affected; to lead the best Christian lives possible so non-believers can sense our happiness and peace of mind and want that for themselves.

People may not agree with me on this either, but my motto as a Christian (based on Luke 6:31 and Luke 10:27) is: So far I don't hurt someone or myself in any (physical, mental, spiritual, etc) way, I'm living the life of Christ. So with that in mind I don't see how tattoos are sinful.
    Should Christian Artists Create Tattoos?
    Tattooing has allowed it ’s artists to go from being backroom Picassos to MTV celebrities. But is this art form for the Christian Visual artist? I b…
  • R Jay McCarty said:
    It disappeared huh? That's awesome. Does he have any other tattoos? Did they disappear too? Wouldn't the fact that God didn't remove all of them suggest he may not hate all tattoos? It could have been a very personal thing to show this drummer his awesome power, or to confirm him, but it also seems to speak directly to this question.

Yes, he had others. Sometimes God will give us a physical manifestation of what has taken place spiritually. By causing that pentagram tattoo to vanish, He was showing my old friend that he was no longer in occult bondage now that Christ had redeemed him. I wouldn't read into the remainder of the other tattoos as a tacit endorsement. The matters of the heart always come first in His dealings with fallen humanity.

Alec
  • I've never seen tattoos as a problem. I personally don't like them, and will not get one. This is a personal choice and a aesthetic one.

I think some tattoos are stupid, especially ones on the face. Are they a sin? Probably not.

Besides this, what is a Godly profession, exactly? I work at Wal-Mart. Is this a Godly profession? Glorify God in all that you do - okay. I glorify God as a cashier by thanking God every day that I have a job to support myself, and allow me to go to college. I think it's a bit ridiculous to make that distinction, in most cases. Some people find tattoos distasteful, but that doesn't mean they are a sin.
  • Personally, I don't believe Christians should be involved in making or receiving tattoos. I have many friends who have them from their pre-salvation years, but I don't know any Spirit-filled, Spirit-led believers (face-to-face, not online acquaintances) who actively pursue tattooing or being tattooed. When we stand before Christ in glory, then there will be an end to all disagreement/grey areas on this and all other matters. Until then, I don't hold a dogmatic view on this. I don't endorse them, but if you (any reader) do, that's your prerogative, and it's between you and the Lord. Since we were asked our opinions on the matter, I've shared mine (I think it's safe to say we're all entitled to that).

On a slightly different note, I'll ask those who are involved with tattooing this: do they all eventually fade, blur, lose their color, and turn bluish over the years? Do touchups get rid of the blur beneath (and around) the new ink? It doesn't seem terribly permanent, and after many years they look like mush. Or have there been advances in the field to counter that problem?

Lastly, I had a drummer in an old band of mine who, after coming to salvation in Christ, had a pentagram tattoo on his leg miraculously disappear. A bona fide miracle.

Kind regards in Christ Jesus,

Alec
  • Leviticus 19:27 "Ye Shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of they beard." -KJV

wait is this saying never cut your beard? or wait...it's talking about cutting the hair and beard in connection with pagan mourning rites.

people need to do their research on what Leviticus 19:28 is referring to also.

...cutting or tattooing the flesh for the dead....
    making bodily incisions also occurred apart from the context of mourning in the attempt to procure the favor of the deity by means of an offering of blood.
  • I know several would disagree with me, but personally I take the Old Testament with a grain of salt: I mean it seems to accept practices like polygamy, and obviously the majority of Christians don't practice this today. Leviticus specifically mentions a lot of rules I've yet to see a Christian follow: can you honestly say you do burnt-offerings? We can't judge people based on certain bible verses and yet ignore the others at the same time: that's hypocrisy.

Darren, it's not so much that many churches are trying to be like the world: it's just that Christians can't just alienate themselves and expect to attract non-believers. Jesus is a perfect example (of course) for he was constantly in the midst of sinners. The key is be among the secular world but not be affected; to lead the best Christian lives possible so non-believers can sense our happiness and peace of mind and want that for themselves.

People may not agree with me on this either, but my motto as a Christian (based on Luke 6:31 and Luke 10:27) is: So far I don't hurt someone or myself in any (physical, mental, spiritual, etc) way, I'm living the life of Christ. So with that in mind I don't see how tattoos are sinful.
  • In the bible God clearly forbids tattoos and scarifcation his reasoning is that want the pagans do. don't be like the pagans? I think to many church's are trying so hard to be like the world to attract the world but God calls use to be a light and not conform. the most important thing for a worldly person to have when they come to God is to change most of them desperately need to and want to. they are supposed to put off the old man and be a new creation in christ.
    New International Version (©1984) Leviticus 19:28
    "'Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD.
This reply was deleted.