CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Where did all the men go?

If you think about it, it's more of the women that are taking their children to church, etc and the men stay home or just go along for the ride, or don't go at all... what does this say for the Christian men population?Where did all the men go?http://www.chron.comDoes the church discriminate against men?For years, the familiar and partly justified criticism of the lack of women in church leadership positions has dominated attention. Now comes the opposite slant: men are not welcome in church any longer.In an article written for Rick Warren's Ministry Toolbox, David Murrow, author of Why Men Hate Going To Church, states:"Many common worship practices are subtly tilted toward the feminine heart. Without even realizing it, we've created the perfect environment for sensitive women and soft-hearted men to meet with Jesus. But this worship climate tends to alienate masculine men".Murrow cites the lyrics to a popular worship chorus to illustrate his point:Hold me close, let your love surround me.Bring me near, draw me to your side.I'm desparate for you, I'm lost without you.Let my words be few.Jesus, I am so in love with you.This is, according to Murrow, an example of the feminization of Christian worship. Lest this be viewed and disposed of as male bias, Camerin Courtney in Christianity Today made the following observation:"Dear guys: First of all, let me start by saying I get it. I know it's no picnic being you in a pew these days. Books such as Wild at Heart, Why Men Hate Going to Church, and No More Christian Nice Guy have raised our awareness to how feminized many American churches have become. Too much touchy-feely, felt-needs emotionalism and not enough iron sharpening iron. Too much meek and mild Jesus, not enough miracle worker and champion for the poor. Too much kum-ba-yah, not enough commitment".This is more than a mere discussion point. According to the statistics cited by Murrow, male involvement now dwindles in American Christianity:"This is a major reason 61 percent of the adult worshippers in our churches are female. Why some 70 percent of the volunteers and midweek participants are women. Why up to 90 percent of the boys who are raised in church will abandon it by their 20th birthday, many never to return".Such numbers give everyone pause and cause for concern. Christians believe that they should marry in the faith. How is this possible if there is an ever-growing shortage of men?Those of us raised in the church are disinclined to notice this so-called feminization of worship. Yet, for those who were not raised in church and for those men who are outside the faith, it is not so easy to ignore. Could it be that modern worship is becoming a turn-off to men?Contrast this cooling of male involvement in Christianity with the rising devotion of men within Islam. More than once I've watched in admiration as a Muslim man knelt between airplane seats and prayed at the allotted time. "That," I think, "takes a real man." Perhaps, there is a lesson to be learned here for Christians: men are more into "doing" than "feeling" religion.Christianity needs a resurgence of masculinity. We need men who, like the apostles, pioneers of faith, and missionaries take tremendous steps of faith and journey boldly forward. Families need men who are led of God and in turn, lead their families - not with coercion, but by example.For this to happen, churches should consider becoming a more "guy-friendly" place. Encourage accomplishment and achievement. Invite tasks and challenges. All of these appeal to men. And maybe a song like "Onward, Christian Soldiers" could be sung occasionally.

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –