CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS
Remember the last article about the "New Age Christianity" ? Yea, well, here's a news flash and a rather disturbing one at that!From the Article:Prophesy News Watch:http://www.prophecynewswatch.com/March21/2151.htmlThis past Monday Oprah Winfrey, considered by many to be the world's most influential woman, began a ten-week long online course on the best-selling book, "A New Earth," by New Age guru, Eckhart Tolle. "A New Earth" has already sold some 3.5 million copies worldwide, thanks largely to the publicity given to it by Oprah. According to Oprah, 500,000 people from across the world signed on to the first segment of the online course, to spend an hour and a half listening to Ekhart and Oprah talking about chapter 1 of the book, and taking calls from participants.In recent years Oprah has been inviting an increasing number of representatives of new age spirituality onto her talk shows, including figures such as Marianne Williamson, Barbara DeAngelis, LaVar Burton, Richard Carlson, Betty Eadie, and many others. Oprah has strongly endorsed many of their works, and has included some of them in her "Book Club" list.Since the beginning of this year Oprah has offered daily classes on her XM radio station on the book "A Course in Miracles." "A Course in Miracles" (or ACIM for short) was written by another major player in the New Age movement, Helen Schucman, who claims that the book was dictated to her by an interior voice, which she identifies with Jesus Christ. In that course, the listener is taught that there is no sin, is told not to make the "mistake" of "clinging to the old rugged cross," and that the name of "Jesus Christ as such is but a symbol."Oprah, who is a self-labeled "Christian", was recently named the "most dangerous woman in the world" by Bill Keller, considered by some to be the world's leading Internet evangelist. He accused Oprah of peddling the equivalent of "spiritual crack." Keller has been warning the subscribers of his Daily Devotional for years about Oprah and how she uses her TV program to promote every New Age philosophy in the world, including the wildly popular book and DVD last year, "The Secret," which teaches readers or viewers that simply by desiring them strongly enough, one may obtain wealth, health and happiness.However, rarely has Oprah shown more enthusiasm for a New Age guru than for the so-called Eckhart Tolle, who takes his first name from the well-known 13th century Catholic Rhineland mystic, Meister Eckhart. Tolle is the author of several books including "The Power of Now," and, most recently, "A New Earth."Much like many other New Age systems, Eckhart's "spirituality" is a vague, ethereal blend of spiritual theories and ideas, gleaned from all of the world's major religions. Eckhart promises the attainment of "inner peace" and a higher state of consciousness by utilizing methods of meditation that plunge one into the "now." He also says that mankind is in a moment of crisis, in which the race must either achieve the next stage in its evolution by attaining "higher consciousness", or destroy itself and the planet.The title of his newest book, "A New Earth," is taken from Chapter 21 from the Book of Revelations, in which the Biblical visionary says that he "saw a new heaven and a new earth." Throughout his newest book Eckhart sprinkles quotations from Scripture, and he frequently speaks about Christ and Scripture in his talks.The core of Eckhart's teaching is a religious relativism, in which he eschews all rigid doctrine or exclusive claims to truth as dangerous and manifestations of "egoic consciousness." "The moment you say 'only my belief' or 'our belief' is true, and you deny other people's beliefs, then you've adopted an ideology," Eckhart told the participants in Monday's online class. "And then religion becomes a closed door."Eckhart explains away conscience and feelings of guilt as but the consequence of years of conditioning. He told one caller, who confessed that she still feels guilt when she decides against going to church on Sunday, that she must recognize that "the voice" which tells her to go to church is simply the result of social conditioning.One caller into the show told Oprah that she was a Catholic, and was having trouble seeing how Eckhart's teachings could be reconciled with her Catholicism. Oprah responded that the caller must simply realize that Christianity is but one of many ways to achieve the "higher consciousness," and that the belief that one must follow a set of doctrines is a consequence of "egoic consciousness." While Christianity is a valid way to achieve high states of spirituality, it must not be considered a unique way, or a "correct way"."Jesus," said Oprah, "came to show us Christ-consciousness…Jesus came to show us the way of the heart…Jesus came to say, 'Look I'm going to live in the body, in the human body and I'm going to show you how it's done.' These are some principles and some laws that you can use to live by to know that way"She concluded, "I don't believe that Jesus came to start Christianity.""What Jesus said is much deeper than what you, how the church interprets it. There's a depth to it. And it reflects your own depth when you read it. So there's no conflict between this teaching, which is purely spiritual, and any religion."Oprah also indicated that there are many names that one might give to that which she calls "God", including "energy," "consciousness" and "life."Oprah also contrasted what she called the "old" spirituality vs. the "new" spirituality, as espoused by Eckhart. "The old way is the hierarchy has the authority. Church authorities tell you how to worship in church and how to behave outside of church. The new spirituality is that you are your own best authority as you work to know and love yourself, you discover how to live a more spiritual life."Despite Oprah and Eckhart's reduction of Christianity to but one "way" amongst many other equally legitimate ways to God, and their calling Christ a "revolutionary" who has been misunderstood by the Church, and who simply came to manifest "Christ-consciousness", a quick search through the internet reveals that many Christians are following Oprah in attempting to fuse together the teachings of Eckhart, and the doctrines of the historical Christian church.One writer on the message board on Oprah's website wrote a message with the subject line, "Scared I'm replacing my religion, which I love." "I just started the book" she wrote, "and I love the idea of the book but I guess the question I keep repeating in my head is will this be replacing my religion? How do the two work together. Can someone please help ease my mind that I'm not turning on the lord."Many of the respondents to the questioner confessed that they too had similar misgivings about the book, but "upon reflection", realized that Tolle draws from numerous Christian sources, and that he and Oprah were giving them a "deeper understanding" of their faith.However, Keller, and a number of other Christian pastors have begun to actively warn Christians that Oprah and Eckhart's teachings are by no means compatible with Christianity. "Oprah is now trying to be the spiritual guru to this nation," said Keller in an appearance on Fox. "Sadly, she is being used as a tool of Satan to lead millions of souls to hell with her false teachings."Another pastor, James A. Smith Sr., writing in the Florida Baptist Witness, criticized Oprah's "spirituality" for its emphasis on the power of the individual to define truth and reality, and to totally control one's own life. "What this fails to acknowledge is that man dos not define reality; man does not determine what truth is," wrote Smith. "The source of truth for our decisions and power is the one true God of all reality and He has communicated plenary propositional truths to us in the Bible and remarkably, uniquely in His incarnation in Jesus Christ."Oprah, as with other New Agers, is not in pursuit and in communion with God."WorldNetDaily columnist Chuck Norris, wrote about Oprah and The New Earth, "The reason Tolle's psychology and spirituality is marketed so easy is that it is an eclectic mix of conventional and unconventional wisdom, and Western and Eastern beliefs, presented in a tolerant, non-threatening, and non-sectarian way. In other words, it's 'Religion Light,' in which one can be spiritual with 'little down and no credit.'"Norris recommended that his readers simply sit down and read a Bible, rather than "A New Earth." "One could easily save the purchase price of 'A New Earth' and subsequently avoid misleading remarks by reading a Bible, which gives a much more thorough and accurate picture of life's purpose and methods for overcoming its obstacles," said Norris

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Oprah's latest blessing is bestowed upon a "pregnant man"... evidently this individual is even confused about her sexuality than many young people today:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080404/en_nm/pregnant_man_dc_6
    • a preg. man? What is he supposed to be a Seahorse? yea, there are some that are transgendered or registered by doctors to be treated as men but have the entire female anatomy inside and out, but mentally they are men, something to that effect, I knew a person online like that, but she/he had three kids- but said he/she was gay because they liked men, but was medically called a man, I don't know, this world is getting more corrupt as the day goes by, but I know that God has more mercy patience and love or else no one would be alive, lol. Even though this "man" is preg. and obviously confused, we should still accept and love the other, as God loves us, though it seems hard, no sin is greater than the other.
      • Here's an outrageous what-if: I have to wonder what would happen if a white man had his skin colored somehow, had his features surgically altered, then tried to make an appearance on her show as a "black" man. Would she be as open-minded about it? : D
  • So this is Oprah's latest advice? I saw an episode of "Oprah" the week that she was covering the topic "Oprah's Debt Diet." It implied that the American family gets deep in debt by buying new cars, shopping at the mall, running up credit card bills, etc. I guess she has health insurance on herself and her loved ones, and more than enough money to put any family member into a hospital, nursing home or mental institution. She must also live in a community brimming with vacant, affordable starter homes in walking distance of an abundance of blue-collar jobs. Nice that she has answers for the rest of us.

"Christianity Lite" is nothing new. Many churches and ministries are trying new tactics and publicity to attract followers. Discipline, sacrifice, and that nasty old notion of guilt and sin just don't package well.

The problem with sin is, it just doesn't go away that easily. Neither does guilt. Judas Iscariot was so overcome with guilt that he killed himself. I sincerely doubt that any feel-good philosophy would have saved him. Think of the last time you read about some horrible crime in the paper, and wondered how the guilty party lived with himself. How does this book help the drunk driver who wakes up in jail and is told he killed a little girl? How does it help the alcoholic who is beginning to understand that his addiction has cost him everything he ever loved or cared about? How does it help the corrupt executive who realizes that his greed has cost thousands of hard-working parents their jobs?

"Norris recommended that his readers simply sit down and read a Bible." I'd like to add that there are many commentaries, Bible studies and Sunday School supplements available to help understand parts of the Bible that aren't as easy to comprehend as others. Learned men and women have spent entire careers trying to understand the teachings of the Bible. It will not come to us in one weekend. Maybe that's not what the public wants to hear.
  • This is truly disturbing news, Christina. I want to be angry at Oprah's arrogance, that she somehow imagines she knows better than the Lord Jesus what He meant. But on the heels of my indignation is the knowledge that I have blasphemed far worse than Oprah.

Certainly people in positions of authority are more accountable, at least I think the Bible teaches that. But I feel a certain sympathy for the listeners, if not for Oprah herself. I don't think the Bible is so simple as Norris makes it sound. It's not easy to learn to trust the Holy Spirit, or to learn to hear Him. It's human nature to seek wise women and men to tell us what to do and what to think.

I learned much that is precious and eternal from radio preachers. But I swallowed a lot of poison that they attached to their messages too. For example I once heard a woman on 'Focus on the Family' say "I just don't know how you can say you are a Christian and not vote!". For her, the desperate search for meaning in the scripture had confused her to the point that abortion and homosexuality issues were essential to a saving faith in Jesus Christ! This is exactly the kind of neo-Phariseeism that the Bible warns us about. We create a new 'Law' and live under it's bondage and force others to live under it too.

But I might be clueless too, I have to admit. The Lord Jesus said His message wouldn't appeal to the carnal nature of men and women. It may be rebellion against God, pure and simple, that leads many to follow Oprah instead of the Lord Jesus. I just wish that some teachers didn't make it easy to want to do that...

God bless you, Christina, and your family:) I love the articles you post. They force me to think about what I'd rather avoid.

P.S. I lost 'faith' in 'Focus on the Family' recently. Way back when dinosaurs ran for office, Bush Sr. and Clinton were going head to head. Dobson made Clinton sound like the devil incarnate, and I rushed out to register and voted for Bush. Well, you know Clinton won. I was horribly disillusioned. I thought America had sold God out.

And we have, because we let our politicians and the Supreme Court do as they please.

But, my point is, now, years later I see what Bush Jr. is doing. And it makes me weep.

Clinton championed abortion, but Bush hasn't put an end to it.

Clinton pushed homosexual rights but had to back pedal. It's true that homosexual marriage hasn't become legal under Bush Jr., but neither did it when Clinton was in power.

Would the evils of today have come sooner if my vote had changed the election back then? Maybe that would have been worse than what -did- happen...

God is God, and though trials and tribulations might come from our sins, He remains God. The God that can even bring good out of evil if we trust Him, love the Lord Jesus, and are called according to His righteousness.

I'm sorry, I made many irresponsible political statements, I do try to love you all even if you passionately disagree with me. So forgive me too, okay?
    • I used to believe the whole problem of abortion in our society would be solved by votes and politicians. I voted pro-life, and I participated in at least one demonstration, way back before they started to get ugly.

Then one day, on very short notice, my husband and I opened our small, cramped home to a teenage runaway. We barely thought about it. We just signed for legal guardianship and put her up on the couch. Even though we were living paycheck to paycheck, we fed and clothed her and took her to school, without accepting a dime from her parents, the state or any charitable organization. We trusted God, and God provided.

When she suffered bouts of nausea, we were actually relieved that it was pregnancy and not an addiction or disease. The boy responsible offered to pay for an abortion, but then denied paternity when she said she wanted to follow through with her pregnancy. She eventually admitted to us that she wanted to have her baby, but she would have chosen abortion rather than be returned, with the child in her arms, to her abusive parents.

A Christian friend told us to kick her out and send her home. Even though we barely had room for ourselves, there was no question that she would stay. God gave her and the baby a chance at a decent future by keeping us free from fears and doubts.

I still don't know whether to laugh or cry when people talk about "choice." Choice between what? Abortion and poverty? Abortion and dropping out of school? Abortion and returning to an abusive relationship? Abortion and life on the streets?

Nothing we did was heroic or remarkable. Quite a few women are likely to roll their eyes when they read this, but I have a husband who looks to God for direction, and I trust them both. Don't expect much from elected officials. This country is made up of millions of households. Each of us simply has to support charitable organizations and give our families over to God.
    • Gerard,

I understand where you're coming from on the political side, though as my mom always tells me ( as I don't vote) if your a christian, it's your duty to vote! Well, IF i vote this year, it'll be a first. The way I see it, God is going to allow whoever to be in office that NEEDS to be in office for HIS plan to happen, so I don't really worry about it. However, on the subject of this article, this just shows how "easy" satan is making traps for folks to fall blindly into and we should be working just as hard to counteract things like this, especially as big of a following as this "New Age Christianity" has gotten. For the sake of the young ones and future children, because with Islam rising in the east and Britain, well, who else is there to fight the fight but those who know Jesus and are not blind to what the world is putting out there, basically, spring those traps before anyone falls into them, if that makes any sense.

Either way about it, God has a plan for these things to come to pass and with false prophets ( which i think this counts as one?) and rumors of war and wars, etc. This is just an eye-opener to how close we are and how much we should be working and telling others ( I'm not one to talk, cause frankly, I can't do that much when witnessing....drawing is my only way unless God speaks through this hillbilly stutter-bucket) about Jesus and to cling to him with all our hearts and souls! (Cling to the old rugged cross!! :D)

Thanks for the kind words, too, and we all screw up as well, and I won't hound you about being "politically correct" cause, I myself, ain't! LOL
This reply was deleted.