CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

New to the Forum

Hello! I'm a young, aspiring cartoonist sent here by my professor (Dr. Fred Sanders from Biola University).I'm pleasantly surprised to find this Christian Fellowship both exists and is quite large and active.I started really turning my drawing and writing towards comics when I couldn't find any alternative comic reading material available for 12 year old girls--my Christian bookstore only carried books about ripped, muscular archangels and my parents didn't much approve of all the Spiderman and X-Men I kept dragging home.I'm nowhere near professional but I do what I can and I'm hoping to help expand the Christian presence in the realm of webcomics.Until then, I'll just hang out here and learn as much as I can about the industry, both traditional and alternative.

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• also wanted to add a comment about manga there, though manga is good it's great to have your own style, though, as my motto goes " Draw how you want to draw and let no one else make you do different." my style is a mix between american and manga, called Fusion. A well balanced blend of both styles but with a little of my own twist mixed in. ^^
    • I've noticed fusion is getting to be quite popular, especially on the internet.... in varying degrees of mixtures too.
      There's something about the emotive quality of manga and the dynamic, action-oriented focus of American comics that works well together. I do a lot of work that would probably be characterized as fusion though I'm actually trying to work in a little more of a Tex Avery animation look.
      • Hi Allison!
        Welcome to the flock of artists here. ^^ I'm always happy to see fellow female artists creating comics for the glory of God.
        I also started out in a manga style drawing before God lead me to finish a more American style comic. I still decided to add a manga section of the same comic just because I really love both styles. Talk about a blend lol!
        Welcome again and I hope you find a lot of information and encouragement here.
        Beloved by Grace,
        Souba
  • Well, welcome to the group! As far as comics are concerned, I bet the Overcomers is right up your alley, if you like drama, mystery, action and God centered comics and graphic novels, please feel free to check it out ( it's out in April this year) the posters are available too, you can see them on my page. Welcome again, and I hope that you will learn a lot from the pros here and grow closer to God in the process! Be well and God bless!

Christina
  • Hi Allison-my advice: Draw Less to no Anime!!!!!
    • While I do appreciate the advice, and accept it in the spirit it was given (I hope!), I'd have to argue that's more of a stylistic choice and less of an artistic one.
      I don't see how our traditional "look" is any more valuable, stable or enduring than manga/manwha, which is the staple of another culture.
      A good, solid understanding of anatomy will continually separate the good manga artist from the mimics and imitators.
      • Well said Allison. I first learned to draw copying Anime techniques. Then started honing my style from there. ( still honing tho ) Welcome!
        • However good the art the eployers in the comic meccas such as Boston still perfer the so-called "traditional look..." Really Japanese styles are as varied as European ones...but there's a WAY better chance of getting work in Europe thru their style [and if you can make there a celeb status in America is a given] than there is in Japan! Manga mostly earned it's way into American because of the storytelling and unique take to action than it was the art style anyway...
          Just looking ouy for ya, Allison! Though most of this comes from my teachers and other successful students [emphasis on their successfull-ness]
          • No no, I appreciate it... you speak true. Coming from an art major, I know "the teachers" of whom you speak. ;D

I realize that, were I hoping to "break in" to the traditional comic meccas, to borrow your phrase, I'd have to choose a different method of study and practice entirely. I had a email-pal in the animation industry (he did animating for the Simpsons cartoon) who basically told me I was wasting time and money to get a BFA if I simply wanted to go into animation--figure studies and "industry training" were all I should focus on.

The main reason, however, that I don't really worry too much about getting accepted into the "meccas" is because I'm not really sure they're going to be the dominant players in the newest generation of comics.
            I'm starting to notice the communications trend is moving towards the internet. Comics, like the other communication mediums, might need to start adapting--moving more towards web-publishing.

This would, theoretically, mean a democratization of the comics industry--anyone can now buy a URL, pay for advertising, and become quite popular without having to be accepted or legitimized by the Old Guard of printed comics.

I can have a wider impact on the internet--it's free, relatively inexpensive to maintain, and accessible to a greater and greater percentage of people not just in the US but the world.
            My goal isn't so much to make money off my comics as it is to use them to talk to people--tell them stories and point them in a heavenward direction.

With that as a future to look forward to, I feel a lot more confident about perfecting my own unique brand of stylization.
  • Hello Ms Allison. It's great to have another aspiring Mangaka ( manga creator ) here. Please don't be shy in sharing more of your work. I liked your Girl and the Tower story.
This reply was deleted.