CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Comic Artist Help Book

Hello, I am trying to learn how to comic book characters. I have gotten some books from Christopher Hart, Tom Bancroft, and Ben Caldwell. I am starting to get the hang of drawing a person's face ( still struggling with the hair), but I am having a hard time drawing bodies. So far everything I have read suggested getting drawing the nude form. As a Christian, I do not want to do that. So any one have any idea?Matt

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• You'll need patience. It takes years to learn anatomy. Plus you also need to learn to draw technical stuff like cars and buildings. That's right drawing like an architect. Drawing from life is the best way to learn. It's better than learning how to draw comics. I have a tutorial at:

http://www.blazedent.com/drawingtutorials/tutorial_1_3.php

Concerning drawing nude figures, for me it's okay to look at nude people as long as you don't think of anything naughty. The Bible says "Do not look at a woman with lust in your eyes". I forgot where in the Bible it is.

If you feel uncomfortable with nude people, you can have them pose in a swimsuit. Or use a software like metacreations poser.
    Blazedent "Artistic Genesis" - Proportion & Anatomy - artist tutorials, drawing, painting, comic bo…
    Proportion & Anatomy. Learn tips, tricks and helpful hints in this tutorial of drawing with correct proportioning, center of gravity, and sketching a…
  • Matthew,

Take your drawing pad and go to the mall or other
    public place and draw the people who are sitting or
    standing. You may need to be fast as people can
    change positions quickly. Also ask a friend or relative
    to pose (fully clothed) for you. Perhaps you could draw them
    read a book or watching TV or sleeping.

God bless,

Dino Don
    • Thank You, I never thought of just going out and draw live people. I have been looking at magazines and photos and trying to draw from them, but after reading the link above, i can see where I need to draw from other places.

God Bless and I am so glad I found this site.
      • Depending on the style of art you like to do, would determine where your sources would com from. Do you want to draw superhero comics? Life-like renderings? Or "funnies", like Bill Watterson ( Calvin and Hobbes ) and Charles Schultz ( Peanuts )? Or Manga and Anime?

Which ever catagory you fall in start researching and gathering a pile of work based on your favorite artists ( even from different styles and catagories ) and start studying and copying.

Most of my referances come from comic books ( american and manga ) I also referance Calvin and Hobbes for charactatures (?) and exagerrated facial expressions. And story ideas.

I referance life-like art for backgrounds, buildings and landscapes.

This has worked for me and may work for you; your personal style may be determined and influenced by the art that you are naturally inclined to read and be inspired by.
        • Very cool, As for the style, hmmm. I want to do like to do funny (calvin and hobbes) for when I do stuff for my children's church classes or to draw what happened in the class (great source for funny stories). I guess mainly hero and realistic. Though I found one artist style i like. it looks like a cross of manga and american. I tend to stay away from manga, because of my backslidden years (no need to go into that).
          • Judging from the art you've posted, here are a couple of artists names , whose art my be similiar to the style you may be learning;
            Mike Kunkel ( the creator of the HeroBear comic ) and Tom Bancroft ( the creator of the Opposite Forces comic )
            If you haven't heard of them both guys are fantastic artists that do a cartoony style and still draw in the action/superhero genre.
            And last I heard, both men are believers. And I also remember reading that they at some point used to work for Disney in their animation studios. I know that to be true for at least one on them.
            • Thanks Micheal,
              I bought Tom Bancroft's Book and bookmarked his funny production blog. I did not know who or what was herobear until now. I am going to have to see about getting those comic books. I goodled Mike Kunkel and like his style. I picked up a small comic about the Power Pack and I like that artist style though I do not know who they may be.
              • If you like Tom Bancroft, you should check out Stephen Silver! He has a online character design class even!
              • Matt,

I highly recommend HeroBear. It is brilliant. It is basically a
                real book and the price tag is not inexpensive but Mike's
                work is well worth it.

I met him this weekend at the Phoenix Cactus Con and he is reallt
                a great guy.

God bless,

Dino Don
              • Power Pack? As in the superhero kids at Marvel comics? Made famous in the 80's? That Power Pack? I collected that book as a kid but haven't kept up with the recent manga style that Marvel has been putting out lately.
This reply was deleted.