CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Replies

• The CCAS has requested a table in the Small Press section at WonderCon 2009. I've been in contact with the coordinator of Small Press. He sent a reservation form to the CCAS and it has been sent back. They do not have the dates set, but when they do, they will send out the application forms. The CCAS has established a great relationship and favor at Comic-Con International. The Lord has been very gracious to us at San Diego and hopefully that same favor will carry on to the WonderCon. They stated they should have those dates nailed down by September. Lord willing, I plan to be there. I will have all the necessary materials and product to set up the table. Since this will be our first time with a table at WonderCon, we're looking forward to it and meeting some of our brothers and sisters in Northern California. You can email me at ralphellismiley@verizon.net so we can begin planning.
  • Spike,
    That is a good idea to see if the local Christian church community could provide some housing. I have mentioned this to Robert Flores and we will be looking into it. Especially with San Diego's hotel situation becoming prohibitive.

God bless,

DinoDon
    • Since there are some pastors in CCAS, maybe they could provide suggestions on how to approach the churches in the area. Again, pray about this and make sure there is a general understanding as to what you would like from the church or its congregation, what you can offer them, etc. If the hotel situation is becoming prohibitive, I don't know, maybe that is part of God's plan. Unbeleivers should be jealous of Christians because of what we can accomplish when we work and pray together.
  • Paul, 3/18/08

Just a few more comments on doing comic conventions.

This is how CCAS has done tables in the past.

First, we have offered a variety of Christian Comics materials for sale. We have found using just one product or a few products doesn't work that well. We also offer freebie material (Bibles and tracks). We have found that the Chick tracts (not the anti-Catholic comics) are very popular as giveaways. The primary idea behind the CCAS table is to promote Christian comics in general.
    Second, in past years (at San Diego) we have has several Christian Comic tables together in the same location. The CCAS table might have Christine Kerrick (Empire) on one side and Robert James Luedke (Eyewitness) on the other. This way it gives more table space and standing room for people to look at similar material and each table can support the other.
    Third, we have had Sunday Chapel services for Christian convention goers in a separate meeting room. We have also had panel discussions on various aspects of Christian comics after the chapel. Also on Saturday we have sponsored "Spiritual Themes in Comics" panels (this has also happened in Minnesota) with Christian and non Christian panelists discussing various spiritual themes in comics.
    Fourth, you need to consider what your goal is. As I mentioned in San Diego usually enough product is sold to cover the cost of the table. Other conventions (LA Wizard, Tampa, etc) have not done as well. You need to realize that a Christian table in a secular comics convention is primarily a ministry and outreach vehicle. Selling of comics is the icing on the cake. I realize Red Machine has been fairly successful (PTL) in selling Spirit Knight but often with other situations that (sales success)is not the case. Also realize that the can be real spiritual warfare going on at these conventions. Prayer is essential.
    Fifth, a successful CCAS table or other Christian comics table takes a lot of planning, working (setup & take down), bringing money to make change, having a seller's license and prayer. I'd recommend looking for others in the area who have like interests in Christian comics and starting a local committee.
    Sixth, Consider spending a day or two or the entire Con at San Diego this summer and be a part of the CCAS table and other activities there. You might be able to learn a lot from that experience that you could implement at the WonderCon. Usually several of us room together to defray the housing expenses. Also we often go out as a group for dinner in the evening. This is a great time of sharing and just having fun together.
    Seventh, your idea of a table with several Christian artist sharing different time slots sounds good—perhaps more of an artist alley type thing. It might be an interesting experiment to try.

There are probably other things to consider, but this can get you started or scare you off. Ralph Miley has a weatlh of personal experience with doing tables. He is a great resource person on this.

God bless

DinoDon
    • Don I want to know if it's possible to be a part of CCAS table?
      • Demetrius,

The guys who are in charge of the CCAS table are Robert Flores (robertccp@yahoo.com) and Eric Jansen (ericjansen@netzero.net).
        E-mail them directly and tell them what you have in mind. Be specific
        about what you want to do at the table and also about your comic (s).
        They both are members of the CCAS Board.

God bless,

DinoDon
    • Thanks Don 4 the helpful points, It does seem like alot to handle but I think with others who will take on certant tasks or i'll openly ask who are attending to take a shift to help out in a certant area will take the burden off all those who are involved. in the next couple of months i'll will start posting for the needs to get this started and those who will be at the convenion next year. I keep in contact with you on your page to see what the board thinks or get some helpful advice from you and others in the buisness. Talk to you later Broman. "I'm off to bring kids to school, five to be exact!!!".BAP out!!!
      • I've compleately lost this forum... : (
        • See What YOU Started? LOL :)
    • You mentioned that "usually several of us room together to defray the housing expenses." Is it possible, in the year between conventions, that a group of you could establish a good relationship with a San Diego church or ministry that would be willing to provide you with some type of sleeping and dining arrangements? You could reimburse them instead of paying a hotel. Of course you would have to approach this option with prayer.
This reply was deleted.