CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS
Hey all, another discussion/ opinion thingy from me:Does it matter, if you are Christian, what you listen to? For instance I listen to Godsmack, Linkin Park, Hinder, Disturbed, Type O Negative, etc I mainly listen for the beat and sound, not for the lyrics, strange eh? Well, I was wondering, is that considered hypocritical if for instance you see someone with a fish symbol on their car and they are blaring Disturbed or Linkin Park music? This just came to mind, of what folks would see me as, as well, though I have no symbol on my car, keep forgetting to stick it on, lol. Opinions? :D

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I think you all make good points, but in the end it has to be a personal conviction, i think. Don't get me wrong, i think guidance from fellow christians is very important. I had done that i might not have thrown away all my series 2 marvel trading cards thinking they were hindering the Holy Spirit. But you can't make someone believe something or stop listening to music just because you think its wrong. I listened to that song "Down with the sickness" a few times. Its off the "Dawn of the Dead" soundtrack. I just get very uneasy when i hear that song. I'm not gonna say its conjuring up demons or anything, but it does offend my personal sensibilities. But my musical listening habits are far from pure themselves.
    • Let me toss a curve ball here... :)
      Anthony, you say it ought to be a "personal conviction." AND, while I agree with you...what about your witness? Some say their personal view on drinking alcohol is okay, BUT they don't do it because of the social stigma it has and that it would harm their witness.
      Can listening to secular music have the same effect?
      wait...
      wait...
      wait...
      okay--GO!
      • I don't know, i guess thats an interesting point. But during the beginning of a new church i started attending a few years back, the Pastor preached against women wearing pants, and certain shows, and going to the movies, etc. and later it backfired, because people who didn't feel led to do it were doing it just cuz their pastor told'em to. And they started blaming him for it. Its just very delicate.
      • Roland, I personally drink alcohol once every blue moon, lol, only for the taste and nothing more, me and my hubby both do, whereas I think if you let alcohol RULE your life as in getting drunk each weekend of every month whereas a glass of wine once every 4-6 months if that with a meal or not, is alright, kinda common sense stuff there. Anthony, the down with the sickness song, I listened to it before don't much listen to THAT particular one itself, after I figured out what it was talking about, it only caught my attention to the ...well what I call "barking" in it, the gutteral sound and that is what I like about their music and the drum beats or riffs in them. I listen to music of multiple genre, because the mood I am in that day really determines the music I listen to myself, strange to say that if I am really irritated or ticked off by something or someone I listen to the harder music and after one or two songs I feel better, then normally on a given day I listen to my ol' faithful music, Country. I get the christian station in once in a great while, if I am lucky, the one station that has the "family life" broadcast in it at night and has Joyce Myers on as well later, it comes in now and again, otherwise it's a choice of Rock, Oldies or Country and Classic Country music, and our Wal-Mart here in town doesn't carry the main stream Contemporary Christian musicians or a wide selection thereof, like larger cities. *shrug* I think if the songs are defaming God....perhaps the wrong word there, but are going against God directly, talking about raping someone or a direct worship of Satan or a whole bunch of the GD word in it, is NOT something to listen to and I will change the song or channel if I hear those things. I think in a way it could harm the witnessing but then again, it depends on the person you are witnessing to, if that makes any sense, for instance, if the person you are talking to has the view that Christians are stuck ups that think they are holier than thou ( a lot of folks around here do, because of that reason, the majority ACT that way ><) then they are going to EXPECT that particular person, after saying that they are a christian, etc to NOT listen to such music and look down upon THEM for listening to it, now, I am not saying everyone here does, but the mass majority do, it's a VERY small town so if you are wearing strange clothing and all ( goth, punk, etc) than they are used to it's a sudden judgement all because folks aren't USED to change here, so it's difficult to really gauge your "personal expression" on clothes and music because either way you are offending someone, but if the person you are witnessing to understand you are a christian and you're not judging them by what they listen to and you in fact may listen to a few songs of their music yourself, honestly, I think they are more inclined to listen to your witness about Jesus than if it were the scowling look down on you for such things like music or dressing. *shrug* that may have been going the long way around to what I am saying, but the only way I could think of, I guess... O.o
        • Christina, I actually liked the "Down with the Sickness" song until one day for some reason that escapes me for the moment, i put the movie on subtitles so i could hear and read the movie. After reading what the song was actually saying i was no longer able to listen to it. It creeps me out to be honest.
  • This is weird, but I feel like sometimes secular music can be good to remind us of what life was like before we accepted the Lord Jesus. There's this song by 'LIVE' called 'All Over You', and it's so full of wistfulness, yearning, and despair, I like to listen to it and then put on 4HIM's "Where There is Faith". Or I like Bonnie Tyler's "Making Love (Out of Nothing at All)" followed by Twila Paris "Holy is the Lord". Or "Total Eclipse of the Heart" and then "Release of the Spirit/He is Exalted" by the same singers. I don't know, the contrasts between songs like these really intensifies the experience for me, you know?

God bless you,
    Gerry

P.S. I think Michael is right, tastes can change as we walk with the Lord Jesus.
    • Hey Gerard, I think there is truth to what you said. Its like you dont know what you are missing until you are reminded, you know, sometimes you dont appreciate what you have until its not there.

Once in a while I will switch over to a radio station just for something different and man, after a little while its like you have been out in the desert and are needing something good and clean to fill your thirst. Its nice to have the choice to listen to a Christian radio station, some people arent so blessed.
  • My intention was not to put anyone into some sort of guilt trip. I was totally talking from my experience. I wont be the one to tell you what you should or shouldnt listen to, trust me. I still listen to some secular stuff and some of them have become christians, like Johnny Cash, but I really try to listen to my inner voice when it comes to that stuff. I have two young kids so thats a good gauge, would I allow them to listen to this music? If not then I know I shouldnt either. I forgot to say, Air1 is the best online radio station in my opinion, if you like alternative/rock. They tend to not play a loft of soft stuff which is great, there are a lot of those stations out there but I like a little more rock to my Christian music I guess. Hmmm would Jesus like Air1, O'ya I am sure, ha ha. Rockin for the Lord. What type of music do you guys like?
  • Yeah, I think it matters. Without getting into specific bands...
    As believers, our entire lives are under scrutiny--nonbelievers are watching. Just like we should participate in extramarital affairs, kill, etc., we shouldn't fill our ears with music that doesn't glorify God. I used to think it didn't matter. As a musician, my argument was always that I was simply listening to the musicians--and how good that they were. It wasn't until I had kids that I realized many of the words of those songs came to me VERY easily. I may tell myself I'm listening to the music, but the words are sinking in.
    There is scripture somewhere in the Bible (can't remember where at the moment, but remember going over it a few months ago in a Bible study) that basically states--if you're unsure, don't do it. If you're unsure and do it anyway...it's a sin.
    I'm made to think of the truths behind the children's song: oh be careful little ears what you hear.

my.02
    • ......O.O......dang, they have such good beats....:( but I see what you mean, I sit here listening to some of the above bands, though one of them don't really cuss in the majority of their songs, I just like the way it sounds, any good christian bands that sound like what I mentioned? ( I don't care for pod too much, their sound isn't gritty and gutteral lol) didn't figure listening to stuff was a sin, course, I think I know what scripture you are talking about, it refers to the eyes and what they see and ears what they hear and mouth what you say, I think, I can't quote worth poo either lol. Thanks Roland for your opinion/help :D
This reply was deleted.