CHRISTIAN COMIC ARTS SOCIETY :: A NETWORK OF CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP FOR COMICS FANS, PROS, AND AMATEURS

Let's get to know each other, shall we?

Hi there,I noticed no one's started any discussions here, so I thought I'd go ahead and be the first. Why don't we introduce ourselves and find out why we're here.I'm Robin White, and I'm from New Brunswick, Canada. I'm a missionary to Japan, but in a "previous life" I was a graphic designer. I've been drawing and reading comics since I was a kid, of course, and currently have some humour work online at www.skitzoman.com. I'm hoping to do something that proves I actually can draw, someday, and something with more plot and depth. In time I hope that I can use comics and other creative arts in ministry.Who else is on here, and what are you up to?

You need to be a member of CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society to add comments!

Join CCAS - Christian Comic Arts Society

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies

• Hi, Joey Endres, writer/artist/publisher of Megazeen. Megazeen is clocking in at 13 regular issues, 3 specials and 3 spin-offs now. It's an anthology of oddball comics from all over the world. It was created from the idea that Christian comics needed sort of an underground indy comic, as the book WE wanted to read. We're always taking submissions for online and in-print work, it just can't be all cheeeeeeeesy. I'm also involved in the new Mecha Manga Bible Stories with some real talented guys. Life's been good to me so far.
    • Pleased to meet ya Joey... sounds like you're doing some great things in the service... got some links or sneak peaks for us to check out?
  • Wow Rob, you're description sounds really familiar.

I'm from Alberta Canada and for a little bit longer, am residing in Japan, attempting to learn the language and so forth. Severe hopes for coming back and continuing once I get more money from doing graphic design and manual labor back home.

err, yah. I draw, write, and enjoy making "stuff", I figured I was officially to call myself an artist when I realized that for everything I buy or get, I have an uncontainable urge to repaint/make over. Maybe that's more of a creativist than an artist, I dunno.
  • My turn.
    Hi all.
    I worked in comics from 1989 until about 2000. After I graduated with a degree in creative writing, I immediately began selling my stories to comic publishers. After a couple of years, I was offered an editing position by Malibu Comics out in California. So I moved to California. In 1994, Malibu was purchased by Marvel, where I became the Managing Editor for the Malibu Division. In 1996, Marvel closed the doors to Malibu. I returned home (which was Mississippi) and started by own company. I published 13 books from 1997-2000.
    In 2000 I was saved and pretty much swore off comics. I earned my Master's Degree in English and started teaching at the university. I moved over to the ESL program to teach international students (where I am happy to report about half a dozen were saved--God did it, but He let me participate in it). In 2005, and as a result of tougher laws to get into the US, the ESL department cut down from 6 to 2. Unfortunately, I was not one of the two.
    I worked with a Christian Furniture company for about a year, finished a "Christian" novel (which I'm still trying to sell, for those of you interested), then took a job as a small town newspaper editor last september.
    Last month, the guy decided he didn't like my "politics," so told me to take a hike! Seems I was too conservative for the guy! haha
    I had indeed sworn off comics, however, my good buddy and talented artist Steven Butler asked me to take a look at a script he was drawing from...I did. And ended up editing the first 5-6 issues of the christian comic POWERMARK.
    Once again I have an interest in comics and am always on the prowl for artists! :)
    Whew--was that nutshell enough?
    Roland Mann
    • Hey Roland... been a while... good to see ya in here... always nice to see a friendly "face" as they say. :D
  • Hi Robin, et al,
    I'm also named Robin...but owing to all the fights I got into in grade school, I've gone by Rob for the last 35 years or so.
    I serve as pastor among the people of Eastgate Christian Fellowship, and I draw a comic strip for Group Magazine titled "it's definitely a calling", for youth pastors....and I write and draw Rabbi Encounters, a webcomic I've doodled on for the last year.

I'm really glad to be a part of this group, and appreciate being invited in!
  • Hi all, my name is Michael S. Alford. I was introduced to this site through Joey Chiapetta, the author of "Silly Daddy".
    Let' see. I was saved in April of 1995 and have been preaching on the streets pretty much since then. I do 'chalk-talk' type drawings sometimes to accompany the preaching, depending on the situation.
    On the secular side I draw a comic book entitled "Kung Fu Rabbit" .
    I'm also currently developing a more Christian based work entitled "The Servant". It's an autobiographical allegory (sort of like Pilgrims Progress, but not as good) about a criminal redeemed by a king. The main holdup on it is my own lack of skill ( I want to do the best job possible) and also poor time-management skills.
    I was blessed enough to marry the prettiest girl on earth (sorry ladies, the title is taken) and we have proceeded to have 3 amazing kids whom we home school. I have a day job, and 2 side businesses.
    On the off chance that I remember to sleep, I do.
  • Hi Robin,
    Nice to meet you. I'm in the US, and I spent about half my life pursuing a call into Christian music. When that didn't happen I got discouraged, quit music, and started drawing. I've now been drawing for five years and have spent the last three creating my first comic called Jackket Knightmare. I love Japan so I'm learning Japanese so I can translate the comic and send it to that country. :-)
    God grant you favor,
    Souba
    • would love to see what ya have in store... perhaps a sneak peak?
  • Alec Stevens here. I attend Times Square Church in New York City and teach at the Joe Kubert School in Dover, NJ. Since 1985 I've done a lot of work in the secular comics and illustration field, but my current focus is on my imprint Calvary Comics through which I've published two issues of Glory to God and the Sadhu Sundar Singh graphic novel. I have another book coming out this month, and am working on a third Christian graphic novel which, God-willing, will be out in spring 2008.
This reply was deleted.